Looking For A Gpsr

AW738

I started geocaching about a year and a half ago with an Etrex Legend. Since the I have upgraded a couple of times to a 60CS, but just starting out I would start with this one again. The cost while not the cheapest unit out there, is still the most unit for your money. Waypoints are downloadable, memory is enough for geocaching, easy to operate, as well as durable. Mine has had a few bumps and now my kids use it.

I also have a Geko 101 and cannot download waypoints to this one. For me this is a huge drawback.

I have a Garmin Geko 201. Very basic, but it has a computer link so I can transfer data. I have seen them via Google's Froogle search for under $80.

I consider the computer interface as being absolutely necessary, and anything other than that is an option.

Some people just gotta have color, some gotta have the mapping, etc. Look at your budget, look at what's available, think about what you want to do with it other than geocaching, read reviews, and then get something, anything.

Enjoy and have fun! ;)

Garmins and Magellans are pretty safe bets. My suggestion (something that worked well for me, anyway) was to buy a used unit to get familiar with what features you like and don't care about. Then buy the unit you really want from an informed decision basis, and sell the first unit for $10 less than you paid for it.

Take a look on eBay or the Garage Sale section in these forums. If you want opinions on something you home in on, ask away...we got plenty of free advice! ;)