Memory Map

I prefer OziExplorer to Memory Map because the 3d features of Ozi use free digital elevation data. Memory Map has a non-standard protocol so you have to buy the elevation data from them. That's my only beef with Memory Map; the "stitching" feature that allows you to patch one map to another works very well. The interface isn't as easy to figure out as Ozi but it works once you get used to it. Digital topo maps are available from most places that sell gps units. Depending on which country you live in, some maps are provided free on-line by government agencies.

MTB

with memory map, you can draw routes with your styles, you can scan or import maps and very easly calibrate them. If the map has a grid of latitude longintude lines, the clibration becomes very simple.

I tested the coordinates after calibrating my maps, and it was deadly accurate.

Unfortunatly, I found that memory map are the only source for their topo maps only after I purchased their software.

One last question

What is the file extension of ozi explorer elevation data.

Many thanks for the usefull reply above.

neo_geo

the GPS type does not make a differance, memory map runs on desktop, and pocket pc.

Here is a link to Ozi 3d that shows all the digital elevation formats that are supported. I bought ETopo maps (for here in Canada) and they are pre-calibrated for use with Memory Map. Under the "Help" - "Contents" - "Getting Started" menu of Memory Map there is a section called "Obtaining Digital Charts or Maps" that lists the various types that are supported. As far as digital maps for Saudi Arabia your only choice is to look for them with a good search engine and a lot of patience. Best of luck. :huh:
Unfortunatly, I found that memory map are the only source for their topo maps only after I purchased their software.

I believe MemoryMap requires the same calibration files (.jpr) as Fugawi so there should be quite a few sources of maps depending on where you are. You can also convert the OziExplorer . map cailibration files with DRGMapCal and make use of any maps that are used for Ozi.

I believe MemoryMap requires the same calibration files (.jpr) as Fugawi so there should be quite a few sources of maps depending on where you are. You can also convert the OziExplorer . map cailibration files with DRGMapCal and make use of any maps that are used for Ozi.

Great information, but the elevation data of memory map is in a file that has the extension .qed for quad elevation data which has no file converter.

Anyway you guies convinced me that ozi explorer is better and the linkes you listed got me very busy. Very interesting and amazing stuff.