Secret Cold War Kgb Caches Still Hidden In The Us?

TEAM 360

Time for a new topic...let's change gears a bit...Now, I know it's an older article, but I found this online while surfing, and posted it in some local forums as well...what do you think?

Report: Soviets hid nukes in US

BY PAMELA R. HESS

United Press International

October 26, 1999, Tuesday, BC cycle -18:22 Eastern Time

WASHINGTON, Oct. 26 --

A congressman charged on Tuesday that the Soviet Union may have hidden explosives, radio-transmitters and possibly suitcase-sized nuclear weapons in the United States during the Cold War.

Rep. Curt Weldon, R-Penn., said the secret installations were to be used in sabotage operations against U.S. power systems and other key infrastructures in the event of a war or other major crisis. Two such caches discovered last winter in Switzerland and Belgium were identified in KGB archives that also suggest hidden U.S. sites exist, possibly in Brainerd, Minn., around an oil pipeline in Texas, and in New York, California and Montana.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

''I am outraged the (Clinton) administration has not even asked the question of the Russians about where the specific sites are in the United States.''

Rep. Curt Weldon, R-Penn.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some of the contents of the KGB archive were secreted out by Vasili Mitrokhin, a former archivist for the secretive Soviet intelligence organization. Mitrokhin's notes -- which form the basis of ''The Sword and Shield: The Mitrokhin Archive and the Secret History of the KGB,'' written with Christopher Andrew and published last month -- identified 12 precise locations in Western Europe where explosives and other equipment were hidden in booby-trapped sites. Officials in Switzerland and Belgium used the notes last winter to find two dangerous caches, lending credibility to the archivist's evidence.

The explosives would be used to simultaneously bring down power supplies in the United States and generally cause havoc prior to a military strike, according to the notes. Weldon met with the FBI last week, including Director Louis Freeh, who confirmed the possibility that similar explosives could be buried around the United States.

Interesting - but nothing on this issue has been published since the 1999 story by one journalist. It would make since that such caches exist(ed?) though.

I like the use of the red text with the statement that Louis Freeh confirmed the possibility that similar explosive devices could be buried in the U.S. I can also confirm the possibility that Heidi Klum will cancel here engagement in order to pursue a long term relationship with my brother (I'm spoken for) :rolleyes:

I hope nobody left anything in old ammo cans.....

I heard about these back in the 80's actually. As I recall, one article indicated they were booby-trapped. You dig it up, and if you don't properly disarm it, well... let's just say the bomb squad won't need calling.

I doubt anything nuclear would be in the caches, but I suppose it's possible. I had heard about explosives and firearms and things of that nature, like a supply depot, more than anything.