Cachemate And Gsak Question

I have downloaded and installed both. I have selected 300 waypoints and set them up in GSAK and my gps. I then tried to export these from GSAK to my palm using Cachemate. After synching, it said that 1 file transfered. It is the last one in my list of 300. Why didn't all 300 transfer? How do I do this? Also, why didn't hints and logs and descriptions transfer? Help, I desperately want to go paperless and this is all starting to discourage me.

A pretty basic question here. Did you register paying the $8? If you are using the freebie version you can only transfer 10 waypoints with their data.

Edit: I just thought of something else. When you look at your Palm and it says "1 file transfered", you then have the option to file it as either "found", "not-found", "un-filed", and maybe some others. It will look like only 1 file until you choose an option. Then look under the category you filed it to, should be "not found" normally, and I wonder if you see them all?

Good luck! Don't give up, paperless is terrific. I use Cachemate and GSAK with my Palm IIIxe.

Edited by Timpat

There's a bit of a chicken-egg thing here: you are feeling frustrated because of the confusion, but it's hard to tell you what to do unless you can understand what's going on well enough to describe with specific language where you're getting hung-up (no criticism, we've all been there).

I don't use Cachemate, so take my questions/suggestions with more than a grain of salt. But I am a bit puzzled by your stating that only one file synched. It sounds like you are using the word "file" to describe what we call a "waypoint." It sounds like you got all 300 waypoints to make it from GSAK to GPS. When I do a cachemate export, GSAK tells me that it converted 300 (or whatever) waypoints. Are you getting that confirmation? You should end up with one file containing 300 waypoints. What program is telling you that one file synched? If that is HotSync, then it would sound like things are working right. At this point I'm not sure that you did everything right, and may just be looking at the last waypoint on your Palm (my Cachemate ignorance comes into play here).

Hang in there...lots of people here are happy to get you through the learning curve. Unfortunately--as you are experiencing--there are multiple places where the train can get off track. Once you get it worked out, I can promise that it will be relatively effortless.

Edited by embra

I received a pocket query with 300 waypoints in my email. I dragged and dropped this file into GSAK. Everything looks great here. If you look at my screen in GSAK, all 300 are listed there. I don't know if it is one big file with 300 waypoints in it or 300 different files. With all 300 listed, I went to export and and clicked Cashemate. I got a screen entitled Export Cachemate PDB File. It already had a name in the box for file to create. It also already had a name in the box that says Select From Most Recent. I left everything the same except the box for Limit number of logs to export. I changed it to 10 since I am still using the free version of cachemate. I then clicked generate at the bottom and got a box that said this file already exists. Do I want to replace? I click yes. It generates the file and gives me a box that says CmConvert: 1 waypoint coverted finish okay. I clicked oakay. I then hotsynched and when I open cachemate on my palm, I get a box that says at the top, Select Import Category. Below that it says File/Database. Below that the word Home. Below that Database/Default. Below that Category/ Unfiled. I renamed that Not found. Below that All new records from the named file will be created under the selected category. I click okay. Then it reads Import data was successfully merged with the main cachemate database. I click okay. The only waypoint that is listed is the last one in my list of 300 on GSAK. What am I doing wrong?

tnfishdaddy: It sounds like you're doing everything properly. One point of clarification regarding cache logs where you set yours to 10. That does not limit the number of caches exported by GSAK. That limits the number of logs that are exported from GSAK.

In GSAK you are seeing all 300 of the caches, right? There's no chance that you filtered things so that only one cache is shown? I'm trying to duplicate the problem and so far I can't :D

I left everything the same except the box for Limit number of logs to export. I changed it to 10 since I am still using the free version of cachemate. I then clicked generate at the bottom and got a box that said this file already exists. Do I want to replace? I click yes. It generates the file and gives me a box that says CmConvert: 1 waypoint coverted finish okay.

That narrows things down...it sounds like you are only getting GSAK to generate a file with the single waypoint, and Cachemate doesn't appear to be the culprit (although as mentioned above, until you register Cachemate will only show you 10 waypoints of your file).

This does have me scratching my head, as I can't see how you would be generating a single waypoint pdb file without using a filter.

Can you try this as an experiment? Try exporting to HTML instead of Cachemate. In the HTML export dialog window, make sure you have the box checked to "Show HTML index when finished" (this should be checked by default.) After you generate the export, your browser window should go to the index page; you can click on any of the indecies you have ordered up to see how many waypoints made it out. This should offer an easy verification if it's a GSAK setting we need to change.

I did what you said and they all transferred. I exported a gpx file to the guy that runs cachemate and he said he got everything. I emailed all this to Clyde at GSAK and haven't heard anything back yet. It has to be something with GSAK I am doing wrong but I don't know what. Any ideas of what to do?

Hi. I use GSAK and Cachemate and I just spent some time playing with mine. I have never had any trouble at all and I can't for the life of me see how this could be happening unless you accidentally set some kind of filter just before doing the Cachemate export. The previous poster was correct in that there is nowhere on the export screen to say how many waypoints to export. The export sends all waypoints currently listed in your active filter (if any). I'm sure ClydE will help you out. Hang in there!

I don't think it's a filter thing...you were able to send all 300 waypoints to your GPS, and if you had a filter in effect, you wouldn't see them on your PC display in GSAK. I watch this one with interest (don't you just hate being the Unusual Case?)

Tzoid's description should get you to the right button on the toolbar, but if that's not clear you can also go to Search/Cancel Filter on the menu.

I did what you said and they all transferred.  I exported a gpx file to the guy that runs cachemate and he said he got everything.  I emailed all this to Clyde at GSAK and haven't heard anything back yet.  It has to be something with GSAK I am doing wrong but I don't know what.  Any ideas of what to do?

Just an update so others can see I am not ignoring this one.

I have already had email conversations with tnfishdaddy on this (so am a little disappointed to see him say he hasn't heard from me - but I guess this could be a timing thing). I have asked for a screen shot of the cachemate export. He said he didn't know how to do this, so I emailed instuctions.

I am still waiting for the screen shot so I can try and sort this one out

Edited by ClydeE

Ok, problem solved by email but I will repeat just in case this pops up again and we are all scratching our heads wondering why.

Reply via email:

Ok, the problem is that you have nothing int the box that says "you can build the waypoint name using tags"

Some how you must have wiped that out, because the default is %code (as per the screen shot when you click on help)

You could also use %smart here or a combination of any of the special tags see "special tags" in the help file or online here http://www.gsak.net/help/hs10300.htm

However, as you are just getting started I would use %code as this is what most users have (hence this is the default)

You can change this later if you find you need to try some of the other special tags

Regards

Clyde

Clyde lives in Australia, and it may be in the middle of the night over there. He is very helpful and responds quickly. Hang in there!

I hate to say "I told you so," but ClydeE is truly phenominal in his support and personal attention. None better anywhere. I never cease to be amazed. The guy must never sleep!