Hiding Cache in NC State Parks

TeamConley

Currently NC State Parks are only allowing geocachers to hide a cache for a three month period for a fee of $25.00. It must be moved to a new location after 3 months to avoid creating trails that damage natural resources, also another $25.00 fee is required. We plan on hiding 4 caches in north carolina I am not willing to pay $400.00 a year for them. If anyone has any ideas or solutions please let know. thank you icon_smile.gif

What a load of garbage. I'd get the local Geocaching community to band together to fight this ridiculious fee. The fee is obviously in place to discourage Geocaching. Geocaching itself doesn't incur an expense to the government, nor will this fee rake in huge amounts of money for them to spend on improvements.

This is just another case of Government run amok...just because they can. And they can, because we let them.

I'd say just don't hide your caches in NC state parks, or get around it (and yes, I'm espousing breaking the law) by creating a multi stage cache with the first leg outside park boundries. So if the rangers check this website for caches in their park, they won't see it.

"Any fool can make a rule and every fool will mind it" Henry David Thoreau

I would say to find a new place to put the cache, or find away around the fee. But, that is just a temp fix. You need to get with your other local/state cachers (get many voices behind you) and show the "people" in charge of the state parks what is going on in other stats. "NEW Forum" idea, or a new page idea.... State by state/country Official status of GeoCaching in parks page.

If done properly, a cache is a benefit to getting people to come to their park. It gets people who would not normally bother to go out and see a part of what they are responsible for....

quote:
Originally posted by TeamConley:

Currently NC State Parks are only allowing geocachers to hide a cache for a three month period for a fee of $25.00. It must be moved to a new location after 3 months to avoid creating trails that damage natural resources, also another $25.00 fee is required. We plan on hiding 4 caches in north carolina I am not willing to pay $400.00 a year for them. If anyone has any ideas or solutions please let know. thank you icon_smile.gif

Zahrim....

"There's no need to be afraid of strange noises in the night.

Anything that intends you harm will stalk you silently."

"we have met the enemy and they is us" - Pogo by Walt Kelly

quote:
Originally posted by Grouchy & Pebs:

You guys just do not understand the government of NC. If they can get some money out of you, they will. That is the bottom line. icon_rolleyes.gif

"Given enough government, they will protect all of our rights away." - Unknown

No! Don't set up a State by State page where everyone can see what is being done in other states. The last thing I would want is for some Wisconsin bureaucrat to see what is going on in NC.

Grouchy’s comment goes for all government. “If they can get some money out of you, they will.”

Trudy & the beast

From our nations tax capitol - Wisconsin

I think they don't understand economics. Not that I'm an expert and can only go by my own experiences, but here's how I see it.

"Hide it and they will come."

I've been to more SC State parks in the last couple of months than I have in my whole life. I've discovered parks that I never knew existed. Would I have gone there if it weren't for geocaching? Most likely not. Would the State have gotten my entry fees? Nope. Would they have this yearly pass holder and the money that brought in? Nope.

So you see. They should be encouraging caches in their parks--they'd make more money.

The powers-that-be need someone to sit them down and show that many more people visit the cache than the people who place them. They will make more money by charging entrance fees than "placing" fees. Make the "placing" fee too large, not only do you miss out on that fee, but the entrance fees as well.

Plus, when people discover a nice park, they may just come back or tell a friend.

Simple logic even works on state workers sometimes.

CR