Bogus Logs

If we were playing golf and I decided that it didn't matter whether we cheated or not I could still play, but the game would lose a little something and we'd probably not even bother finishing the round.

Off-topic, but strangely relevant... this quote reprises the myth that Golfers play their game honestly and in accordance with the rules.

In fact, (and as a serving Rules Official, I know wherof I speak) there is more 'cheating' to be seen on golf courses than any other field of sport I can think of, except possibly F1 motor racing. :D

Apart from those who simply wish to obtain an unfair advantage, this usually happens because there exists a body of golfers (from weekend hackers to tour pros) who are too lazy to find out how the game should be played - or, having done so, are too stupid to understand the complexities.

It could be that there are some geocachers (virtual or otherwise) in the same category... <_<

Having played the game of golf since the age of nine Wildlifewriter and only having recently been forced to retire within the last two years....I also feel able and qualified to pass comment on the subject of cheating within the golfing fraternity!!

And where I would agree with you that cheating and mis-interpretation of the rules does exist...but the percentage of those who do contravene the rules do it mostly because they read the rules to suit themselves (er reminds me of something there :lol: ) or they as you point out can't be bothered to even read the rules ... though in my experience this latter group are usually not serious golfers.

In defence of the former group....I think you will agree there are a lot of occasions where the rules are open to a degree of interpretation?? This can be seen even within the ranks of professional golfers!

So all that aside...it has been my experience that most golfers are basically honest and provide a self policing aspect within the sport....I just wish that happy-go-lucky golfer known locally in Scotland as 'The Pro from the Co (op)' was still able to win long driving competitions :D

Bill.

In fact, (and as a serving Rules Official, I know wherof I speak) there is more 'cheating' to be seen on golf courses than any other field of sport I can think of, except possibly F1 motor racing.  :lol:

On the contrary I think Football probably has the most cheating. They even have terms for an attempt at getting away with a cheat such as 'Professional Foul' which is often called cynical by the commentators! <_<

Edited by The Hokesters
In fact, (and as a serving Rules Official, I know wherof I speak) there is more 'cheating' to be seen on golf courses than any other field of sport I can think of, except possibly F1 motor racing.  :D

On the contrary I think Football probably has the most cheating. They even have terms for an attempt at getting away with a cheat such as 'Professional Foul' which is often called cynical by the commentators! <_<

Wooofff...do I agree with that comment :D

In my late teens I got signed on for the Govan Amateurs Football team in Glasgow....I was dropped after three games....my total playing time was under half an hour....I just couldn't take all the jersey pulling and pushing from behind etc. and kept decking members of the opposing team (well I think in the last game I decked the ref as well ... but that's another story :D ).

:P:D:D:D:D:):lol:

Bill.

Geocaching is a hobby like model making or stamp collecting not a sport like golf or football. In a hobby you do it for the enjoyment however you want to do it. A sport is competitive; by cheating you can gain an advantage on your opponents.

This is of course unacceptable.

I liken logging a find you have not found as lying.

Say if you were doing a walk of 20 miles and took a short cut only walked 10 miles then bragged about how hard the 20 mile walk you had just done was. This of course is a lie.

Whatever turns you on.

Geocaching is a hobby like model making or stamp collecting not a sport like golf or football. In a hobby you do it for the enjoyment however you want to do it. A sport is competitive; by cheating you can gain an advantage on your opponents.

This is of course unacceptable.

I liken logging a find you have not found as lying.

Say if you were doing a walk of 20 miles and took a short cut only walked 10 miles then bragged about how hard the 20 mile walk you had just done was. This of course is a lie.

Whatever turns you on.

A very well put statement with a clearly sensible conclusion....and oh how I wish I had such clarity of thought :P

Your singing my song The Spokes :P

Merry Christmas mate!!

Bill.

P.S. or should that be 'Carol' :P:D:D:P

Edited by Team Ullium

Well hh i think that some sort of code with the cache's would be a great idea maybe as one as the other posts said ,they have to include a phraise which is on the log book in there log of the cache find. as all the person who is setting up the cache would have to do is write that on the cache description to let people know before hand that if they do not right the code in your log it will be deleted,unless they can prove otherwise.

at the end of the day people put out cache's for others to enjoy i certainly enjoy finding the cache's but i also enjoy walking in new areas dicovering new place's ,

and i think if you are going to do somthing it should be done correctly i mean whats the point of logging a cache find if youve never been there. :unsure:

happy xmas to all

over and out windywalkers :lol:

...they have to include a phraise which is on the log book in there log of the cache find...

...that if they do not right the code in your log it will be deleted,unless they can prove otherwise.

I'm not sure putting the 'secret' code word in the online logs - even encrypted - is quite the route to go, but I think we know where you're coming from.

SP