I Hit 200!

sTeamTraen

sTeamTraen,

How is it that you bagged a cache in Sligo, Ireland on the 21st December, then found a cache in Germany, east of Strasbourg on the same day, and then found time at 2.43pm in the day to make this post?

There is no international flight to either France or Germany for at least a 100 mile radius of Sligo. Also, there are several drive by caches in the vicinity of the cache you say you found in Sligo, which would be hard for a veteran cacher to ignore.

I simply don't believe for one minute that you were ever there.

I smell a rat, a great big wet one in fact. :unsure:

Edited by klaus23
How is it that you bagged a cache in Sligo, Ireland on the 21st December, then found a cache in Germany, east of Strasbourg on the same day, and then found time at 2.43pm in the day to make this post?

It's a virtual that just requires an email to be sent saying what is at the co-ords. Nowhere does it say you have to actually go there. :unsure:

Edited by Stuey

people who log caches like this only care about getting their numbers up. i have been to that site and it's a beautiful area....that's what I thought geocaching was about...getting out and seeing the sites. Sure anyone can use google, and if i wanted could prob spend an hour on google and add another 100 finds to my total...but i prefer to get out.

You've got me bang to rights, guvnor. I plead guilty to couch potatoness (although it took me a lot more effort to find than just typing "Come and Pray" into Google, so I'm not even a very efficient couch potato).

In mitigation, I would plead the following:

- I have, as of today, 112 physical finds (log book signed). Maybe I should change the topic title to "I hit 112 - oh yes, and some urban virtuals".

- Of the next 100, about 98 are going to have to be physical finds, since the virtuals and locationlesses are getting all used up :D

- There are only 31 caches not owned by me within 50km of my house, and I've found all of them (actually that's not true; someone just placed a night-time only one 46km away)

On a cold winter's evening with a 100 mile round trip to the nearest unfound physical cache, sometimes I need to get my fix another way :)

In fact I was checking out caches in Ireland because I may have a job interview there in a couple of weeks. So even if I don't end up moving to Dublin I might have a couple of hours free. And it's like looking a word up in the dictionary, you get distracted by things nearby, and so I ended up the other end of the country, and I thought, hmmm, although this one doesn't get the traffic some other "couch potato virtuals" do, I wonder if I can find it ? It took me about an hour.

Whatever this kind of cache is, it isn't locationless. In fact there are (especially in Germany - I logged about 20 of them in the previous few feeks) a few other virtuals like this, where people can find them on Google without visiting them - in a few cases (including one owned by the same person as "Come and Pray") the owner closes them down unless you can provide photographic proof, in others they enjoy the worldwide attention which it brings. It's all part of the game.

Some of these virtuals are clearly designed to bring in people from anywhere; see for example Harte Nuss II (a reasonably complex mathematical puzzle which is unlikely to pull in many people if you have to visit Braunschweig to log it) or Weit draussen, which is in the North Sea but has 1* terrain - that's a bit of a giveaway that you aren't going to have to visit it :D

I also have about 50 or so locationless cache finds. Some people regard these as even "worse" than virtuals. On the other hand, they do require you to leave the house and find something original with your GPS. I know I spent more time on-site looking for

Canadian Gravity Standardization Net than any physical cache I've attempted.

On my holiday in Canada this summer I found about 12 local "real" (urban) virtuals. And funnily enough while I was in Canada I also found the "virtual" Webcam cache

SpyCam, even though it's in Germany, only about 80km from my house. Again, no log book to sign, some people don't think it's Geocaching, but it's in the game.

Now, I agree that the game is mainly about walking, finding, logging. In fact perhaps the GC.com version of the game would be in trouble if the moratorium on new locationless caches and (most) virtuals hadn't been put in place. And perhaps the "(207 found)" after my name should be changed to "(112 found)", but then I'd be wanting the 12 "real" virtuals to be added as well.

At some point I think there's going to have to be a "headline" number, and however it's calculated, it will be something which quite a lot of people (me again, guilty) keep an eye on.

Nick

Edited by sTeamTraen

Having visited and logged the cache in question near Sligo, I can only say that you have missed out on seeing a wonderful location.

That to me is what Geocaching is all about. Visiting locations that other likeminded people wish to share with you. Be it a wonderful view, Interesting building/gardens or whatever.

And thats my 2p worth. :D