can we leave dog cookies?

mgtree

Your first response is correct. No food items in a cache. Furthermore, I would not feed my dog ANYTHING out of a cache. You may be the nicest person on the planet. But I don't know you. And I have hundreds of hours invested in training my dog. Too many hours to take a chance. It comes from my home, or he don't eat it.

It was a very nice thought.

Mike. Desert_Warrior (aka KD9KC).

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

They are not assault weapons anymore... they are HOMELAND DEFENSE WEAPONS!

I agree, it's much too risky to feed your dog, or yourself, any food you find in a cache. Assuming the animals left it alone for you and the cache is in good condition when you find it, there are definitely risks to eating food. Some people are certainly mean enough to put stuff in food designed to make you sick or worse (and your dog too) because they think that would be funny. But more likely, the sun will heat perfectly good food over and over every day turning any food into something dangerous to eat. There's just no good reason to put any food in a cache, it only can cause problems for other people.

----------------------------------------------------------------

"A noble spirit embiggins the smallest man." - Jebediah Springfield

----------------------------------------------------------------

... a discount coupon for Scoobie-snacks would work fine.. (.. so far... there has been no record of wild animals digging up merchandise coupons out of a cache and redeeming them at the local market… so I think your safe with this ;-)

"Remember... nothing is completly worthless!!... it can always be used as a bad example"!

You would have to seal it in a ziplock bag (get as much air out as possible) and the thoroughly wash the outside of the bag with detergent & water to eliminate all scent traces of food. Otherwise, a wild animal can pick up on the scent, and will tear apart the whole cache to get at it.

Not worth it, since most people won't use it anyway (from the responses above).

A tennis ball to throw might not be bad (too large?). Be careful about commercial chew toys... some are scented/flavored (I have a chicken flavored frisbee for my dog, but it looks the same as any other official Whamo frisbee once you take it out of the packaging.

One thing very handy for dog owners... a "water key". On school campusses, many business buildings & churches, the hose bibs do not have a handle to turn on the water. it takes a special key that fits into the round receptacle and has a square drive (Keeps kids from playing with them). You can buy the "key" (tool) at any hardware store for about $1.50

I always carry one when I jog in the city with my dog (rare these days, but when I didn't live in the country we did jog city). That way, I can almost always find water for both of us.

Maybe I'll buy a bunch & start putting them in caches.

Hukt un fonix werkt fur mee

The guidelines(rules) for Geocaching are very specifc about no food of any kind in caches. No matter how well you seal it animals will find it as they often find food via smell. And smells that are not normal, dog bisquits, stand out even more. Also I would never eat anything that was in a cache as I have no idea how long it has been there or who put it there.

I'm weighing in just to emphasize what everyone else has said. Food in caches is a bad idea. Animals have very keen noses and there is no difference between a dog biscut and a candy bar to them. It's all food.

And to add to what Martmann said, Tupperware isn't odorproof either.

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry

quote:
Originally posted by Rasstag:

... a discount coupon for Scoobie-snacks would work fine..

Look at my AVATAR. I (we) would hike a good distance for a discount coupon for SCOOBY-SNACKS!

Would you do it for a scooby-snack?

Uh-uh.

Toooowwww scooby snacks?

OK!... Mmmmmmmmmmmmm.....

Mike. Desert_Warrior (aka KD9KC).

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

They are not assault weapons anymore... they are HOMELAND DEFENSE WEAPONS!