Unknown Caches

Nomad and the Librarians

An unknow or mystery cache generally comes with a puzzle that you need to solve to get the cache coords. (The coords listed on the site would be useless numbers or maybe just parking suggestions.)

I believe an unknown cache could also be used if you simply want the container to be a surprise. Like if you made a specially camoflaged cache container and you don't want to leave any hint as to its size or type.

I would suggest finding a couple and looking at their cache pages for some ideas.

I don't think the size of the container being unknown would be sufficient to warrant an unknown cache type. There is a container size that you can leave unselected, and then people won't know if it's a micro or a 5 gallon bucket.

Unknown bascially to me means that I really must read the cache page to figure something out. It's not a traditional one-stage cache, it's not a typical multi-stage cache, it's not a virtual. There's something different that has to be done. I would not be surprised if I went out on an "unknown" hunt with just the coordinates and came up empty handed.

I believe an unknown cache could also be used if you simply want the container to be a surprise.  Like if you made a specially camoflaged cache container and you don't want to leave any hint as to its size or type.

As Markwell said, the mystery/puzzle cache type can be used for a cache where you don't want to give away any information, but you also can choose a cache type (e.g. "traditional") and then choose "not listed" or "other" for the cache size on the Report a New Cache page. The latter approach doesn't give away much, since a "traditional" cache type only means that there is a container of some kind, and it could be anything from a micro to a large (e.g. 5 gallon pail), and it also could be cleverly camoflaged or hidden (regardless of whether you list the type or size).

Fewer people will look for a cache that contains very limited information. For example, I don't tend to look for caches that are complete mysteries because they can be very frustrating unless the owner has been unusually thoughtful in his or her design or placed it in a particularly appealing place. There's nothing like wandering around for an hour with no clue about what you're looking for to lower your motivation to seek these kinds of caches on a regular basis. But that's a matter of personal preference, and others like the challenge of heading out 'blind as a bat'. <_<

Mystery or Puzzle Caches

The “catch-all” of cache types, this form of cache often involves complicated puzzles that you will first need to solve in order to determine the coordinates. The only commonality of this cache type is that the coordinates listed are not of the actual cache location but a general reference point, such as a nearby parking location. Unless a good reason otherwise can be provided, the posted coordinates should be no more than 1-2 miles away from the true cache location.  This allows the cache to show up on the proper vicinity searches and to keep the mileage of Travel Bugs that find their way into the cache reasonably correct

Here are some you'll get the idea ...