Email Overload

TrailGators

Anyhow, I thought it would be handy if Groundspeak could add an "email notification" check box next to each item in your Hidden list (TBs and caches) and your Watchlist in the future. Some people love getting all those emails and some don't (like me). That is why I usually only put caches that I am actually about To-Do in my Watchlist. Another idea (that might be easier) would be to provide another type of Watchlist list that doesn't email you at all.

You have 3 caches and no travel bugs owned. If you are referring to general watchlist emails, just remove those items from your watchlist.

Additionally, you can create rules in most email programs to look for the telltale [GEO] tag and move it to another folder. We even add additional wording to filter out the different types. Like I have Owner: emails move to one folder while Watchlist: is moved to another one.

Heh, you should see my e-mail inbox on a busy caching weekend! My geocaching e-mail actually outnumbers the spam!!!! :laughing: Seriously though, the watchlist is there for caches that you are interested in watching via e-mail notifications. If you don't want the e-mails, just remove them from your watchlist. There is even a link to do so on the e-mails you receive. What could be easier? :)

--Marky

You have 3 caches and no travel bugs owned. If you are referring to general watchlist emails, just remove those items from your watchlist.

Additionally, you can create rules in most email programs to look for the telltale [GEO] tag and move it to another folder. We even add additional wording to filter out the different types. Like I have Owner: emails move to one folder while Watchlist: is moved to another one.

Hey, I had a Jeep TB but it is MIA. :laughing: You are right, in my case, it was my Watchlist I was talking about. It would be handy to load up my To-Do list through-out the week so when I got back from caching all those caches would be all there to more easily log. But I don't do that because I have been avoiding the emails. But thanks, I'll try out the filter idea with my new Gmail account.

Hey, I had a Jeep TB but it is MIA. :) You are right, in my case, it was my Watchlist I was talking about. It would be handy to load up my To-Do list through-out the week so when I got back from caching all those caches would be all there to more easily log. But I don't do that because I have been avoiding the emails. But thanks, I'll try out the filter idea with my new Gmail account.

To help with your cache logging, you should check out Boulter's Geocaching Express Logger. It's very cool. Of course, you still have to save off the list of cache waypoints you attempted, but you could easily do that in a text file before heading out and then paste them from the text file into the express logger when you get back.

If use CacheMate, you can have it done for you automatically. :laughing:

--Marky

Another idea (that might be easier) would be to provide another type of Watchlist list that doesn't email you at all.

This might have some merit. I could see having a quick reference list (Like a favorites list) of caches you want to watch manually, and receive no emails for. This list would work just like the current watch list, where you add the cache from the cache page, and remove it from the watch list page. The list could be presented like a search results page, so you can easily see the date it was last log, and the other details that make the cache quickly identifiable.

I know Jeremy has mentioned other future features involving favorite lists, so perhaps this is already one of them. :blink:

I'm sure many people, including myself, can do that allready. The more online services gc.com can offer, the more comprehensive and usefull the site will be.

Reasons to have an online favorites list:

1. Access to the information from any computer, any time.

2. A way to quickly view all of the caches on the list and see the last log date.

3. Other cool features could be added to an online page.

I like to keep virts on my watchlist that I may come across sometime, but being virts they generate a whole lot of email. It would be nice if each watchlisted item had an email on/off feature instead of having to set bookmarks and such. Keep it on the watchlist so it was handy yet not get a swampload of email. Seems this would also cut down the amt of email geocaching had to generate.

What about an option where Geocaching.com just sends one message a day which contains all the e-mail you would have gotten seperately, sort of like the digest version of many list-servs...

I'd rather just leave it be, thank you.

Everybody has lots of methods to handle email. I wouldn't expect gc.com or anybody else to control my email flow. I'll control it myself, thank you. If I don't like it coming to my main email in box, or sorted folder, I'll use one of my free email accounts, and there are several around.

Somebody mentioned something about stopping email while on vacation. Why not have your email delivered to one of those free ones during the time you're gone?

It seems to me that there are enough options that it would be best not to try and change what gc.com is doing.

Byron

What about an option where Geocaching.com just sends one message a day which contains all the e-mail you would have gotten seperately, sort of like the digest version of many list-servs...

This involves creating an additional scheduled application to run and kick out a daily digest. It is definitely a good idea though not big on the priority list. The number of users getting hammered with emails is very low, and those who do it do so by choice. So it doesn't really look like low hanging fruit.

While this would be nice at times, I read my email based on subject line... that way I know what cache logs i'd be looking at... etc...

I suggested it once too but have since decided the idea doesn't interesnt me. Also it you stop and think about it... the average watchlist email is 2.4KB now multiply that by however many emails you get in a day... Worst case scenario... you get 500 watchlist emails a day... that would in theory be a 1MB+/- file...

I'd rather just leave it be, thank you.

Everybody has lots of methods to handle email. I wouldn't expect gc.com or anybody else to control my email flow. I'll control it myself, thank you. If I don't like it coming to my main email in box, or sorted folder, I'll use one of my free email accounts, and there are several around.

Somebody mentioned something about stopping email while on vacation. Why not have your email delivered to one of those free ones during the time you're gone?

It seems to me that there are enough options that it would be best not to try and change what gc.com is doing.

Byron

I just asked the question because it would be nice to have a separate To-Do list that doesn't send me emails. I want emails for the caches I put in my Watchlist. Anyhow, for now I'll just keep a separate To-Do list.

But after reading the logs above I think the easiest way for now is to setup a separate email account just for geocaching. I just got a gmail account for this purpose. You can get one with your geocaching name which is really slick!

This involves creating an additional scheduled application to run and kick out a daily digest. It is definitely a good idea though not big on the priority list. The number of users getting hammered with emails is very low, and those who do it do so by choice. So it doesn't really look like low hanging fruit.

Welp, I'm glad someone thinks it's a good idea. I wouldn't say it's a must have either. I wish it were easier so you could just check a box (or a pull down, etc) and bam, you're on digest.

Personally, it doesn't bother me how it is now, I was just trying to put out a suggestion!

-Ben

I just asked the question because it would be nice to have a separate To-Do list that doesn't send me emails.

Markwell already provided a response above that we will be providing a catch all list functionality. You will be able to create whatever lists you want at that time.

I saw that but wasn't entire clear on what that entailed. But it sounds like it will be a very handy feature someday! By the way, my comments are not gripes. I am happy with the website, I just enjoy "what-iffing" sometimes. :(