Letterbox Hybrid

texasgal89

By "done", do you mean found or placed? I have placed two, A Bear of a Crossing and Budd's Favorite Spot. As a regular size geocache, the container should have a log book, a pen, and some items for trade. As a letterbox, the container should have a rubberstamp, preferably hand-carved with some design befitting the location, and a log book with unlined pages.

For the log book, I found that finding an unruled log book small enough to fit in a cache was a bit difficult. So I took the cheap route: I purchased a pack of 100 unruled 3x5 cards, 46 cents at Wal-Mart, plus a package of loose leaf rings, five rings for 97 cents at Wal-Mart. I used a standard three-ring hole punch to punch the cards, using the bottom hole only: punch, flip over, punch again. Presto, a log book for about a buck each. I went further and made up some plastic covers from old notebook covers; you could actually make covers from a milk jug or some such.

With a letterbox, it is customary to stamp the front of the log book with the rubberstamp that is included in the same cache. I add my own personal stamp on the overleaf, with a "Placed by" sig and date.

I use the same log book for both geocachers and letterboxers. Geocachers can write in it no problem, they don't need lines.

I always include a note clarifying to the geocachers that the rubberstamp is NOT a trade item, please leave it in the cache. And a note to the letterboxers not to take any travel bugs unless they plan to visit OTHER geocaches. I dunno if the warnings will work, we'll see.

IMHO, just about *all* regular size geocaches should be hybrids. All it takes is making a rubberstamp, which can be made from an eraser with a bit of time with an Xacto knife.

Once placed, you then have to provide clues for both geocachers and letterboxers. Geocachers are easy, just give them the coords. For the letterboxers, you need to provide text directions, which is usually pretty easy; but if you get into it, making the directions tricky is half the fun!

There apparently is no online logging system for letterbox finds. The only way you know if a letterboxer has found it is by checking on it and looking in the log book.

There is no review process for a letterbox, either. Post the clues, they're up.

I was very interested in letterboxing also. I've just finished carving my own set of rubberstamps to use, one to take with me, and one for a cache I'm planning to make in my own area. When...not sure, but at least I have the stamps now! :-)

Is there a central site to post clues/locations of the letterbox as there is with geocaching?

Thanks for the help for this newbie,

Angela <><