Metric -vs- Imperial

BigFurryMonster

Thanks for the link. Did not think about the metric degrees called gons in this context.

And the centigon correspondents to the km. I only once found a French map with gons for position (from the zero meridian of Paris).

Surveyers here also use gons and I see the Leica TM5100A theodolite advertised with Angular measurement Standard deviation per ISO17123-3, 1 σ 1): 0.5“ (0.15 mgon)

yes yes. It hasn't been added because I initially started storing logs in memory for the pages to render faster. I will need to undo this so the log entries will display in km instead of miles.

I'll provide an alternative conspiracy theory that I am secretly promoting an agenda to convert the rest of the world back to imperial units. Muahahaha.

Here's an interesting article on this topic: Navigation with metric units (pdf, 2.7 MB ).

Check it out!!!!

See why us metricated people are so quick!!!!!

The value of the nautical mile is fixed by convention to be exactly equal to

1852 m, which is the mean value over the globe of the distance on the surface of the earth corresponding to one minute of arc of latitude. The knot is a speed defined as one  nautical mile per hour, i.e. one knot is exactly equal to 1,852 km/h.

And THAT, good people, is on water!!!!

Wait till we apply our technology to land-based transportation!!!!

<_<

Edited by Azaruk