Caching In Foreign Countries

tbkabscooby

I'm going to be going to Germany next spring and would like to do some geocaching while I'm over there. I've checked out some of the site descriptions on geocaching.com, but most of them are in German (and my high school german classes are really failing me 20+ years later :unsure: )!!! I'm wondering if anyone knows of a way (other than getting out the German/English dictionary) to translate the site descriptions to English!! Any help would be appreciated!!!

Thanks,

tbkabscooby

Try BableFish at Alta Vista - I ran a few German language cache pages through it and it worked fairly well (grammer is awkward and caching slang does not translate). After Bable Fish translated the page, I clicked to decode the hint and even the hint was then properly translated!

To use Bable Fish, open another browser window and go to the cache page, copy the URL out of your browser's address bar, then paste it into the "Translate a Web Page" section of Bable Fish. Make sure to choose from the languages drop down - i.e. from German to English. Hope this helps!

Edit: JamesJM beat me to it, and with the same site!!

Edited by Kai Team

Even better... translate it via this page to Swedish Chef, Redneck or Elmer Fudd!

Here's some Swedish Chef talking about one of my caches, for instance:

"Hees ceche-a is heeddee in a typeecel geucecheeng-style-a luceshun. Yuoo oonly need helff a breeen tu feend it, su leefe-a zee oozeer helff hume-a. Breeng a velkeeng steeck becoose-a it is ooffff-treeel, doon a rezeer steep slupe-a. Iff yuoo get tu a neer-ferteecel pert ooff zee heell vheech becumes impusseeble-a tu velk oon, yuoo'fe-a gune-a tuu fer. Hurty flurty schnipp schnipp! Nut reccumended fur smell keeds oor fery cloomsy types. Um gesh dee bork, bork!"

When it's time to log your finds you can try this resource.

Geocaching Volunteer Translators List

Their focus is to translate cache page descriptions or to translate logs so the cache owner can read them. General browsing is probably a bit beyond their scope, but for final logs on those caches, it will beat the heck out of high school German and Babelfish.

(Looks like they need a German tranlating volunteer!)

Edited by Renegade Knight