My first hunt completed!

SkolVikings

Why didn't any of you people tell me how fun this sport was before now!? icon_smile.gif

I will say that the advice of waypointing your car is good, because I didn't do it on my second cache and walked around a bit more than I needed to.

[This message was edited by SkolVikings on July 13, 2003 at 11:27 AM.]

I went out for my first one yesterday, picked one at a great park, it had a TB and everything.

But couldn't find it. I noticed someone else had found it (Caterpillar81) the same day I was looking so emailed him for a hint. I WAS RIGHT THERE! Stupid newbie didn't look at the obvious.

Grrr! Going back today to right my wrong. But he took the TB! No problem though, have a few cool things to leave and anxious to get the first notch in my belt. Who knows if I would ever find another cache anyway to deposit the TB? icon_wink.gif

~robert

If you are just getting started at geocaching, remember that the gps is only accurate to within 30 or so feet. When you find the correct spot, mentally draw a 30-foot circle around yourself and then imagine where you might hide a cache yourself. The usual spot are under thick brush, under loose rocks, in tree hollows and anywhere a cache might be hidden. And remember that the hider might not have done a good job in establishing the long/lat and the cache may be a bit further away. If the difficulty rating is high, then the hider is devious and finding the cache will be very difficult to find. Begin with easier ones and work your way up to the difficult ones when you begin to see how it all works. And welcome to the madness.

Another suggestion is the first thing you do when your GOTO says you are there is to grab a stick, and use it to poke under leaves, bark piles, etc. I keep some old aluminum arrows in my truck for the same purpose. It'll save you some aggravation as plastic boxes and ammo boxes all make a pretty distinctive "thunk" when you hit them. You also avoid accidentally grabbing the fauna that tends to reside under said piles, like spiders, ticks, centipedes, snakes, etc.

mr kablooey congrats on your finds. i'm new to this too. I've found 13 in a little over a week. I found one rated @ 2.5 and 2.5 today. what a rush finding that one it was a very sneaky one. i hope you enjoy it this game is very addicting.

"If you mess with aporcupine you might just get the quills. LOL I just had to say that"