Buying Street Mapping Software On Ebay?

Milbank

Also beware of sellers claiming that you can upgrade to the latest version of MapSource for free! ;)

They aren't really lying, but they're misleading you.

MapSource is the interface program which loads your maps, tracks, routes and waypoints. You can download the latest version from Garmin for free - it is true! But they're hoping that you'll think the included MetroGuide map data will be upgraded which is absolutely NOT the case!

So, if you buy MetroGuide version 4 on eBay, you can upgrade the Mapsource program to version 6.3, but you will still be stuck with the exact same MetroGuide map data and POIs that were in the original version 4.

If you've never dealt with anyone on eBay before, check their feedback percentage! I suggest not dealing with anyone with less than 99%.

As GeoSquid mentioned, some titles require unlocking. City Select, City Navigator, and Blue Charts all need unlocking. US Topo, WorldMap Roads & recreation, and MetroGuide do NOT need unlocking. Version 5 and 6 maps are generally more accurate than version 4 and below.

Edited by Neo_Geo

Neo_Geo,

Your post saved me from doing just that, thanks!

How does the software work for installing it?

Can it only be installed on one computer?

Can the "key" only be used once?

What I'm thinking is to buy the software new, install the largest map I can for my local area and then resell the software as used on ebay.

Just a idea, let me know if it's a good idea or bad.

Thanks for all the help on this.

I just don't want to get the wrong thing.. or do the wrong thing

If you get US Topo, WorldMap, Roads & Recreation, and MetroGuide, there is no key needed - you just install and you're done. If you wanted to, you could then sell the software as used - but then if your computer crashed, then what would you do??? ;)

There's nothing wrong with doing that at all! I've done it with a few titles myself. If you buy the current version new, you can generally get a good percentage of it back selling it used. If you're new to selling on eBay, then it will probably reflect in your feedback points, and you may get a lower percentage return in that case.

You can theoretically install them on as many PC compatable computers and use them with as many Garmin GPSrs as you want to.

City Select and City Navigator DO require a key. Stay away from them - they're basically MetroGuide maps with autorouting data, and they cost more. Since your GPSr doesn't autoroute, you don't need either of them.

Glad to know that.

I was looking at getting the MetroGuide one.

I was looking at the demo map of it on garmin.com and the show the roads out of town as well as in town.

So if I get a copy of metro guide on ebay I should be ok, as there is no key to enter.

I wonder if there is much of a difference between the Metroguide 5 and the new Metroguide 6?

I would have no problem saving some money and getting the old one if it still would show the rural coverage I seen on the garmin site for the version 6 one.

I have sold on ebay (dakotapawn) and have good feedback. I wonder if I can make a copy.

You know, just for my own use as a back up.

I wonder if there is much of a difference between the Metroguide 5 and the new Metroguide 6?

Well, my brother moved into a new house over three years ago! His housing development just now shows up in the new version 6! So even the newest maps are somewhat outdated already!

I don't knwo about all the garmin keys, but the key for City Select Europe allows you to load the map into 2 GPSrs (which is good, because I have 2). It registers the GPSrs you have.

As someoen else said, some of the maps (like Canada Topo) don't require unlocking and seemingly you can load them into as many GPSr as you have.

"City Select and City Navigator DO require a key. Stay away from them - they're basically MetroGuide maps with autorouting data, and they cost more. Since your GPSr doesn't autoroute, you don't need either of them."

Listen to everyone here. You have to be really careful with Key Activation Mapping Softwares. I have a registered City Select v6 and I installed it on one of the GPS unit which I already sold. I bought another one and Garmin will allow you to install a 2nd unit for free of charge. But Garmin will not deactivate it from the Units that you have already registered. So this means you are only entitled to 2 uses on 2 units. You are required to register in order to enable the map on your GPS unit. So be very extra careful in buying Garmin Mapping software from eBay.

There are certain Garmin unit DOES do the autorouting -> Vista C, Quest, GPSMAP60 C or CS.

:lostsignal:

I want to get the Metroguide. The newest one the way is sounds.

Now to find one someplace. Not much for stores around where I live.

Will make some phone calls and see if I can locate one someplace.

May have to take a little trip this weekend to get one. :lostsignal:

Thanks for all the help on this....

...I suggest not dealing with anyone with less than 99%....

If you like the auction and they have a feedback rating less than that read the feedback.

Any person who runs online auctions who leaves negative feedback on deadbeat bidders will get retaliation feed back in return. The cost of being honest is that you won't look as good as someone else willing to let bidders get away with crap by not using the feedback system.

Edited by Renegade Knight

There's nothing wrong with doing that at all! I've done it with a few titles myself. If you buy the current version new, you can generally get a good percentage of it back selling it used. If you're new to selling on eBay, then it will probably reflect in your feedback points, and you may get a lower percentage return in that case.

You can theoretically install them on as many PC compatable computers and use them with as many Garmin GPSrs as you want to.

Minor issue with your suggestion - it is HIGHLY illegal- it is called software piracy and is a copyright issue.

So what you say? Well, you just confessed to a crime , or multiple crimes.

So what's thie big deal? The fine is $100,000 (that is 100 grand) per FLOPPY (if it is a CD and is 400Mb then that is 277 floppies). Do the math - you will be broke FOREVER to save, what $100? And yeah, you can get a prison term of 5-10 years too.

The site moderators probably have an obligation to turn in your identity to the FBI at this point.

The only legit way to sell used software is to deletie all compies on any coputers you own - think of it lke a book - you sell a book, the buyer gets it all and you have no copies left.

There's nothing wrong with doing that at all!  I've done it with a few titles myself.  If you buy the current version new, you can generally get a good percentage of it back selling it used.  If you're new to selling on eBay, then it will probably reflect in your feedback points, and you may get a lower percentage return in that case.

Minor issue with your suggestion - it is HIGHLY illegal- it is called software piracy and is a copyright issue.

So what you say? Well, you just confessed to a crime , or multiple crimes.

So what's thie big deal? The fine is $100,000 (that is 100 grand) per FLOPPY (if it is a CD and is 400Mb then that is 277 floppies). Do the math - you will be broke FOREVER to save, what $100? And yeah, you can get a prison term of 5-10 years too.

The site moderators probably have an obligation to turn in your identity to the FBI at this point.

The only legit way to sell used software is to deletie all compies on any coputers you own - think of it lke a book - you sell a book, the buyer gets it all and you have no copies left.

I just thought I'd address this since I my work often touches on this field.

Yes, she's right, if you sell a copy of software you are keeping, you are breaking the law (in the US, Canada, and most of Europe... if you're in China or India, no biggy), and if you're caught, the potential penalties are huge.

The reality is, however, if you are caught selling 1 copy, the likely penalty will be "settle out of court for the price of the software" Nobody is ever going to get a $100k judgement against Bob Geocacher because he sold his garmin software on e-bay and didn't erase the installation from his hard disk. Those huge fines are for "professional" pirates who mass market copies, and companies who buy 1 copy and dupe it for every employee in the company.

Philosophically, it's still wrong, but you won't lose the house over it. What I usually tell people is "before you pirate that, try to imagine someone stealing your work or undercutting your method of making a living by duping your work for free" then take whatever action feels appropriate.

Copyright junk aside, if you buy new but outdated software, often you can get a discounted or free upgrade. It's a function of when you bought your software it's version and when the upgraded version came out. Garmin doesn't like ebay so you would really need to check this out if you got say City Select 5.x for upgrading to the new 6.x

The ability to sell old software is a fuction of the licence agreement. If you bought an upgrade, often the terms have you destroy the old vesion. If you bought retail the old version its fair game to sell, give away or whatever turns your crank. License agreements vary, but most of them recognzie that software will be transfered.

Edited by Renegade Knight

Most of the software developers now requires you to login to internet. Fill in in your information and they keep track of your ISP. If you happen to buy registered software, they will think that you made the illegal copy. Make sure to read the fine prints from EULA (End Users License Agreement).

A number of softwares does not allow transfer. I have encountered a software which I don't use and sold it. But the software company contacted me they won't allow me to sell it so I paid another license for it and cancel the one I sold to a buyer.

How you transfer the software depends on how the developer terms it. Some software like the City Select ties to the GPS unit itself. Once installed, it will ask for the units serial number. If you sell the unit, you should also sell the software. If you want to keep it, you can request to deactivate it from one of the unit and install it on the 2nd unit free of charge.

:mad: