Caches In Ramapo?

avroair

They are part of the park. (Whether they are within Ramapo Reservation or Ringwood State Park, I don't know, because the two parks are connected. While your there, don't forget BrianSnat's Triple Tree, Warm Furry Kittens, A River Runs To It, Fluffy Pink Bunnies, Bird is the Word, Goat House, as well as GeoKenders Mind Your Steeps, Rocky Mountain Micro Challenge, and maybe a few others.

Yes they are part of Ramapo. If you park in the main Ramapo lot off 202 and head out to Bear Swamp Lake, it's about a 2.5 mi hike to Bear Swamp Lake.

If you want Mark, create a PQ of your Not Found caches, email the ZIP file and I'll plot them out for you, if you don't have a mapping program like Mapsource. It would be easy for you to see the caches in the area.

Looking at the image below which I believe are all the active available caches in the immediate area, the ones I surrounded in red are what I would consider Ramapo Valley caches. The two towards the top are a bit of a hike once you get to Bear Swamp Lake with the Davidson cache being one that has been around for a long time. You need to add a GC to the cache codes to get the full code.

The ones to left of the red area towards the bottom is Brian's Hiker series and are part of Ramapo Mountain off Skyline Dr. I have a cache log of Brian's most recent loop (mentioned in the prev post) with The Den added in and it's about 10 miles around.

To the left at the top of the red area is Ringwood State Park and just below are 2 caches in Campgaw Mountain.

56cb7fc7-dd52-4eec-89dc-1876ab84dae8.jpg

I don't have my map in front of me, but I believe the Bear Swamp Lake cache is in Ringwood Manor State Park. The boundry between RMSP and Ramapo Valley County Reservation lies in that area. I'm pretty sure Monroe Ridge is totally within the county reservation, where as its "sister cache", the Ramapo Mtn Micro Challenge has stages in Ringwood Manor SP and RVCR.

In that area you can walk on state park land, then county reservation land, then back onto state land over a few hundred feet. There is also the Camp Glen Gray land which is owned by Bergen County but not part of of Ramapo Reservation, though it adjoins it. And to add to the confusion, Ramapo Mtn State Forest also crosses the area. The NYNJTC map for the area shows the boundrys, but not clearly. The square in David's map actually has the first three properties inside it and RMSF is just outside his square.

But why worry about borders? They're all great caches,

Edited by briansnat
I'd also guess that the 2nd or 3rd or at least 3rd stage of http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GCKN8F is in Ramapo (based on the text in the cache description) so you might want to hit up the initial stages before popping over to do others in Ramapo.

Looks like it could be either Ramapo Valley CR, or Ringwood Manor SP. About half of the Halifax Trail is in each.

I am relatively sure that the cache in question is located fully within Ramapo County Reservation. Although the borders are fuzzy, I have it from good sources that the placer checked the location of the cache way more times than average placers have to check. <_<

But why stop at one cache for the day? Keep on going. There are some great ones in the area including a really frustrating Fluffy Pink Bunnies cache by some guy named Brian something. (Really Brian, near the dead tree in the woods? What kind of a clue is that?). Even if you can't find the cache up there, the view is really amazing. I just wish I brought the good camera with me. The camera phone pictures are horrendous for the gret landscape shots.

I really do recommend that everyone try the caches in the area. They are great.

I really do recommend that everyone try the caches in the area. They are great.

It is a great area. Some interesting terrain, nice trails, lots of great views and the leaves are at peak very soon.

Really Brian, near the dead tree in the woods? What kind of a clue is that?

Hey, there is only one tree within 100 feet of that cache and its dead.

Edited by briansnat
Hey, there is only one tree within 100 feet of that cache and its dead.

No, my Magellan found about 30 of them and pin pointed ground zero in two locations about 250 feet apart. But all the searching gave me extra time to enjoy the view up there. So... Magellan = More Fun. <_< Christmas can't come soon enough!

It must be peak season right now.

Assuming I know your correct region, I think you will be taking 17 north from the Garden State Parkway, if that is the case, then no. Campmor is about 7-10 miles short of the reservation.

If, as Brian suggests, you go to 287, and then head north, it could be on the way. The problem is getting to 287 in a convenient manor. I would suggest that you take the Parkway north to the Route 4 WEST exit in Paramus. Route 4 will become Route 208 North (sort of, you will see) Follow Route 208 north until you hit Oakland, then follow Route 202 north about 5 miles. The reservation is then on your left. If you hit Ramapo College, you went about 1/5 mile too far.

You can also follow Route 202 north about 2 miles to hop on Route 17 south to get out of the area. This would put you on the opposite side of the highway from Campmor, but it would also bring you close to one more drive up quick cache.

Or I can just drive past Campmor on the way up. Goto Ramapo reservation and hit Campmor on my way back down.... therefore Ramapo Reservation is on the way :mad:

Work with me here people! :huh:

I have workmen visiting the house between 10:00 a.m. and 3 p.m. ---- What the heck is that sort of time window frame!!!! It gets dark at 4:30 now!!! ;)

Or I can just drive past Campmor on the way up. Goto Ramapo reservation and hit Campmor on my way back down.... therefore Ramapo Reservation is on the way ;)

Work with me here people! :mad:

I have workmen visiting the house between 10:00 a.m. and 3 p.m. ---- What the heck is that sort of time window frame!!!! It gets dark at 4:30 now!!! :huh:

Actually, sunset is just before 6:00. It was 6:05 last Saturday (I know because we made it out of the woods at 6:10). Sunday is a different story.

Well we managed to get to 4 caches in the park. Starting at 2 pm limited our time to about 3 1/2 hours, and with a big fat DNF on Triple Tree (sucked away 45 minutes!)

Thanks for the fun though, I shall surely be back in there.

Triple Tree is in an area with VERY poor GPS signals. I was dead on GZ for about 10 minutes when I suddenly got a better sat lock. Suddenly I was 100 feet off. That plus the clue I picked it up in a total of 15 minutes. Now for a real challenge, try his Fluffy Pink Bunnies nearby.

Well we managed to get to 4 caches in the park. Starting at 2 pm limited our time to about 3 1/2 hours, and with a big fat DNF on Triple Tree (sucked away 45 minutes!)

Thanks for the fun though, I shall surely be back in there.

Triple Tree is in an area with VERY poor GPS signals. I was dead on GZ for about 10 minutes when I suddenly got a better sat lock. Suddenly I was 100 feet off. That plus the clue I picked it up in a total of 15 minutes. Now for a real challenge, try his Fluffy Pink Bunnies nearby.

I'm going back when the leaves are down to get a better reading. Bad coords and bad reception are a bad combination. At least now the coords will be good.

Avro did bag Fluffy Pink Bunnies Sat.

Edited by briansnat

We did Fluffy Pink Bunnies, quickly, just bushwhacked up the side of the hill. <_<

It is the caches in boulder fields I have problems with.

We managed:

A River Runs to It

Fluffy Pink Bunnies

Here there, Avroair (yes the final stage is in this park as stated on the cache description page)

and tried Triple Tree