First Travel Bug Gone Missing Immediately

Thot

Well my first travel bug, Jingle Balls, has gone missing without logging a single move.

It appears someone swapped it for another bug, but didn't log picking up or leaving either of these bugs. I've checked the records and only one person logged a visit to the cache where they got the other bug and the cache where my bug was located. He's an experienced cacher, and didn't do it.

It seems odd someone would pick up a bug, then swap it for a bug in another cache without logging either bug and without logging that they found either cache.

Are there any suggestions on how I can locate my brand new travel bug?

Edited by Thot

If you're anywhere near the cache itself, you could visit the cache and check the physical log for a mention of your TB. If someone logged the TB swap in the physical log, you could try to email them through the website and ask them to please at least log the TBs they take / leave.

I've had to do that with two of mine now, and got them moving again.

Well, my first thought was that someone thought it was a trade item, but if they left a bug apparently they know the difference. And if they aren't logging bugs they might not be logging cache finds either, so you may never know who it was.

I'd say there's a decent chance that a cacher is going to stumble across your bug in another cache.

Well my first travel bug, Jingle Balls, has gone missing without logging a single move.

It appears someone swapped it for another bug, but didn't log picking up or leaving either of these bugs. I've checked the records and only one person logged a visit to the cache where they got the other bug and the cache where my bug was located. He's an experienced cacher, and didn't do it.

It seems odd someone would pick up a bug, then swap it for a bug in another cache without logging either bug and without logging that they found either cache.

Are there any suggestions on how I can locate my brand new travel bug?

That happened to my Flowers for Mom TB. Posts kept saying there was no TB inside. After a few of those posts, I emailed the cachers that had logged the find to ask if perhaps they took it but forgot to log - they were all nice enough to write back, but no such luck! I thought it sucked that it didn't go anywhere, especially cause this tag my mom gave me. Maybe someday it will turn up... Good luck with yours!

feel your pain brother...my 1st and only tb went awol for several months...after several "bugs" to team that picked it up, it was finally relocated...right to where ivan hit fla!...i've nicely asked owner of cache if he's ok and if cache is ok...said he's check it out but still no word...some bugs just seem to have bugs! :)

My first bug "Arkworm" a geocoin has all of a sudden disappeared from What A Nice Day cache. I went there to check the cache and it is gone. Checked the log book and someone wrote they took the coin. I assume they meant my Tb. They, however did not sign the log, so have no idea where it went. I listed it as missing and hope maybe someday it will surface.

This is the chance we take with TB's. Some folks seem to want to collect them rather than move them. The geocoin probably was a bad choice to begin with as they are very nice and collectable. If I ever use another one I will drill a big ugly hole in it.

Edited by arkville

I think it is a factor of not enough Travel Bug education. Here's my story...

I recently picked up (and subsequently have dropped off) a travel bug that had a very nicely laminated card attached to it that explained in great detail what a travel bug was and how to handle it. I thought it was absolutely ridiculous and only a complete total anal freak would only do such a thing.

HOWEVER, shortly thereafter my first and only travel bug wound up unreported in a cache (tag only) and had been stripped of it's icon/trinket. Apparently someone had picked it up from a cache and either didn't know, or didn't bother to log it and promptly took the toy bicycle that was the travel bug.

I'll certainly never accuse anyone of being "too anal" when it comes to travel bugs again and in the future my travel bug is going to be a padlock - complete with instructions.

I think it is a factor of not enough Travel Bug education. Here's my story...

I recently picked up (and subsequently have dropped off) a travel bug that had a very nicely laminated card attached to it that explained in great detail what a travel bug was and how to handle it. I thought it was absolutely ridiculous and only a complete total anal freak would only do such a thing.

HOWEVER, shortly thereafter my first and only travel bug wound up unreported in a cache (tag only) and had been stripped of it's icon/trinket. Apparently someone had picked it up from a cache and either didn't know, or didn't bother to log it and promptly took the toy bicycle that was the travel bug.

I'll certainly never accuse anyone of being "too anal" when it comes to travel bugs again and in the future my travel bug is going to be a padlock - complete with instructions.

Even that dosent always work , I had attached a small log book to my TB .

If you're anywhere near the cache itself, you could visit the cache and check the physical log for a mention of your TB.  If someone logged the TB swap in the physical log, you could try to email them through the website and ask them to please at least log the TBs they take / leave.

I've had to do that with two of mine now, and got them moving again.

It was in my own cache. I checked the log in the cache and only one person had signed the log who failed to make a web log. That person was a child with a newbie cacher who made a web log, but failed to sign the cache log. I discovered this when I wrote her to ask if maybe it was here written log signed using a different name than her web name. I had mentioned the name and she explained the child had signed it, and assured me they did not take the bug.

Boy that’s confusing, hope it can be unscrambled.

I recently picked up (and subsequently have dropped off) a travel bug that had a very nicely laminated card attached to it that explained in great detail what a travel bug was and how to handle it.

Funny you should mention that. I had included a laminated card connected to the bug. On one side was the mission statement. On the other side were instructions for how travel bugs work and how and where to log them.

I did this because I had just logged my first bug and found it very difficult to figure out the drill for recording it. There's a page with a pretty good explanation, but somehow the link doesn’t jump out at you.

Here’s reply I posted today to a person in the Getting Started forum asking how to log bugs.

Travel bug logging is different and in addition to cache logging. You should mention it in the cache where you drop one off & the cache where you pick one up, AND officially "pick up" the travel bug and "drop it off" using travel bug logging. You'll find instructions for "picking up" and "dropping off" travel bugs at http://www.geocaching.com/track/howto.aspx

This is similar to part of the instructions I included with my bug.

Edited by Thot

If I were you I'd wait a while before launching the replacement. Look at this link for The Golf Bug which I'm holding right now. The bug was missing for several weeks from it's last logged location when I found it. The paper log indicated a bug swap for one of the bugs I had gone to retrieve. I have spoken with folks who simply do not bother to log TB pick ups and drops, why I don't know.

I found my first TB in a cache that had lost it a few weeks before - there were log entries that the tb was missing. It was taken and returned by someone who seems to have quit geocaching (according to the un signed note attached to the tb). i plan to release it this weeknd someplace closer to it's destination -

which is the Canonball run...but i can find very little info on the Run. Anyone got info on it?

I found my first TB in a cache that had lost it a few weeks before - there were log entries that the tb was missing. It was taken and returned by someone who seems to have quit geocaching (according to the un signed note attached to the tb). i plan to release it this weeknd someplace closer to it's destination -

which is the Canonball run...but i can find very little info on the Run. Anyone got info on it?

Sp far there are two Cannonball Run races happening. The First Annual Cannonball Run Race. and The Second Annual Cannonball Run Race. Find out which race that travel bug is in, the information is probably on the bug page. If not, those threads may have a link to the race stats.