Q: RE GPSr direction true or magnetic north?

Cache N

Is the direct the GPSr give to a location based on true north or magnetic north? When get my compass out I assume the GSPr is giving me true north heading... and I need to adjust with my compass for magnetic declination... is that correct?

Thanks in advance.

For clarity in your direction, your GPS should be set to Magnetic. That way your Compass and GPS can talk to each other.

If you have East Declination this should help you: If west just inverse the equations.

To correct for declination you want the map bearing and field bearing to be equilavent.

Map bearing to magnetic bearing -> Map bearing - declination = Magnetic bearing.

Magnetic bearing to map bearing -> Magnetic bearing + declination = Map bearing.

Tahosa - Dweller of the Mountain Tops.

Check your GPSr settings to see what it is set to. True vs. Magnetic is an age old debate. I prefer to set my Legend to true north. My compass has a declination adjustment to allow it to be set to true north also. If you are doing map work, this allows you to take bearings directly without having to adjust for declination.

I've never been lost, but I was a might bewildered for three days once. Daniel Boone

Another thing worth mentioning is the declination of the region you are in. On the east coast it's about a west 10.5 degree declination. The GPS should be able to pick up the info of your area.

A good little tip for doing the grid to magnetic conversions: LARS (left add, right subtract) Or west add, east subtract

I hope this link works, it's a good visual:

http://www.survivaliq.com/navigation/direction_par6.htm

I ditto everything Geo Strider said. Keep it all true north.

When you are at a multi-cache and they give directions, change if it is magnetic. Sometimes they don't specify.

On my own multi-cache, the waypoint marker gives both true and magnetic directions to the cache.

Iron ore content in the soils of Pennsylvania and some neighboring states does many weird things with magnetic declination.

Local anomalies exist in many places around the world. Aviation sectionals show the larger known ones. Many more are known only to the locals. Sometimes associated with metallic ore deposits and sometimes not. One near me only a few square miles in size not only makes compasses go wacky, but GPS as well (great spot for a cache!). Navaids and AM radio signals are also intermittently affected to an altitude of about 2000 feet AGL. There are no known ore deposits underground, far from any town, and everyone is at a loss for an explanation.

I like Elvis' secret underground UFO base theory myself.

========================================

Friends don't let Friends geocache drunk.

I have my GPS set to magnetic north....that way my compass and GPS are set the same. I don't have to sit and figure what the difference is. Unless you get next to some iron ore.....like what we have in several places around here..you may find that it will work well for you.

Earth First!!! We'll cache the other planets later!!