Garmin: Maps With Forest Roads?

Bateau

I do a lot of road rallying in the northwest and lately have been itching to go explore some of the forest roads around here. City Navigator which came with our StreetPilot obviously doesn't have much detail to offer in the wilderness. Which map set from Garmin would contains information about USFS and other unpaved roads?

Edited by Bateau

I find this thread interesting (in a good sense) because I was looking into getting Garmin's Topo maps. Looking at their demo page for topo maps though I noticed that one of the trails in a state park was the same on the topo map as it is on city select v6; the map shows where the trail starts and then it cuts off about 50 feet into the trail. So......why bother? Am I missing something? I eventually went and bought paper maps for those parks.

I agree wth Blue Contrails. I thought there would be much more detail in the Topo maps other than just the gradients. The trail and off road detail leaves a lot to be desired in my area of North Carolina. It may be better in other areas but not so here. City Select V5 and V6 are handling my needs perfectly. I could have just saved the money on Topo.

I agree that Garmins Topo is not the best. It even is missing interstates that have been there for years. I only state this because if you are on some trail and expect to follow it, well you could end up looking at a interstate with no way across... Not to mention the other obvious items like when I go to any park the map shows very little.

One question though, Since Topo is not the best I do not trust City Select v6. Is Delorme Street Atlas USA® 2005 good and will it work with my 60CS?

OK it was two questions!

Thanks

One question though, Since Topo is not the best I do not trust City Select v6.  Is Delorme Street Atlas USA® 2005 good and will it work with my 60CS?

OK it was two questions!

Thanks

Only Garmin maps work on Garmin GPSrs. You can't load Delorme or any other propriety brand.

National Geographic TOPO! maps are available at 1:24K resolution, in addition to the 1:100K resolution on their main product, but at a cost of about $100 per state. It provides lots of detail, but can't be d/l'd to your GPSr.

Garmin offers detailed 1:24K maps of US Nat'l parks, either for eastern or western US for about $100 as well (shop around. YMMV).

Details here.

Too address the topo detail issues, these maps are based on old data and have a lot to be desired in the way of updated info.

The advantage to having a topo loaded on your GPS is invaluable even without the trail being marked. Knowing where your lowest pass is, or that you might be heading towards a cliff (if you're bushwhacking) can save you time and grief in more ways than one. My initial dismay a year ago about the lack of trails has gone to the wayside, as I have noticed in most part, the mapped trails are extremely inaccurate in terms of switchbacks and maintenance re-routes.

Save your tracks and overlay them onto the maps to gain a better perspective of the actual trail and you'll be happier with this rather than trying to depend upon a mapped trail system that becomes out of date due to any number of reasons.