Trashed Cache

Randy4

Greetings all... :)

I found a cache today that was open and scattered over about a 4' radius and to top it off, it was raining. It's hard for me to think that someone done this because there were still good items there (wouldn't a thief have taken ALL the good stuff?) and the ziplock baggie that the logbook was in looked as though something chewed through it.....but then again, how would an animal screw the top off to begin with??? I'm completely baffled!

My first thought was that since it is so close to my house, I'd take it home, dry it off/out, clean it up, add another (dry) logbook and bring it back the following day....

Instead, I decided against that. I signed the log where I found dry spot, wrapped it up as best I could, screwed the top on and replaced and hid it how I thought it was originally hid. I also emailed the owner.

Because I'm such a noob, I'm wasn't too sure what the "right" thing to do was.

What would some of you have done?

I try to carry some extra ziploc bags and small logbooks (to replace any that are too wet or destroyed) and a small towel to dry out the cache. Then I include the issues in the log and email the owner.

The only problem I see with removing it for repair is that poor cacher that was just hours behind you...and it's gone.