Can Garmin Color Screens Be Read In Sunlight?

kmm

I'm trying to decide whether or not to splurge on color for my replacement Garmin GPSr. I had a GPS 72 which I liked very much. I was okay with grayscale/ I want to go with a GPSMap model, for ease of driving, but I am unsure about the visibility of color screens in sunlight. My parents have an iQue, and I find it extremely difficult to read the screen in direct sun. Glare is a huge problem.

So my question for those of you with color Garmin units is, how well can you read the TFT display in the sun?

Thanks

I'll chime in that the Vista C is easy in most light, and since the built-in backlight shuts off after a few (set-able) seconds, for those few times the light isn't right, or the light is fading, you can still see. I also like the "color schemes" that you can select to find the best color/contrast for yourself. There is also a "Night Mode" available to switch in automatically after sunset so that a different 'color scheme' is displayed. Having a bright scheme in the day and a darker one at night makes the reading easier on the eyes. Also, if you coneect via a USB cable that supplies power, the light will stay on, great fro driving with the unti stuck between the dash and windshield.

I'll second the motion on the VistaC in the sunlight. It is incredibly easy to read and just looks great all the time. I especially like it at night with the backlight on and the different color schemes.

Dukie and Dad, I liked the picture of your VistaC that you took on the compass stepping stone at the Stoney Hill Loop cache which just happens to be mine :D

Cheers!

Edited by moonpup