So Saturday Was The First Ever Members Only Event.

fly46

I do not make members only caches but don't see anything wrong with them if someone else wants to.

Some folks on here are just giving their opinions about the topic. Good for you. Some folks are passing judgement on people who place members only caches/events. How can you pass judgement on someone for using a service/feature of geocaching.com the way it was meant to be used? Come on folks! Elitism? That is a little harsh. If the site allows members only caches and events then why not complain to the site or even Jeremy? He must really be an elitist since he is the one who allows the members only caches in the first place! WOW Jeremy, you are a bad bad man for hurting geocaching this way.

My point is this. Don't judge someone for using a feature for it's intended purpose. If you really feel that it's that bad to have members only caches and events then send an email to the support team since they are the ones who allow them.

Sorry if I talked your ear off....here...you can have it back now!

Happy Geocaching!

Well, I've been lettin' this one go for awhile, but let me schlep in.

I don't know what his intentions were, all I know is how it looks. I wonder how much damage he has done to the local caching community?

El Diablo

-a. give him a break. lots of people have parties. some you don't get invited to.

-b. If we were in first grade and one little girl didn't get an invitation...then I'd think it was rude and nasty. But we should be able to take it.

-c. We're not bound at the hip. In fact we're a pretty loose group. It's OK.

-d. If I wanted to have a party for those between a and h in the alphabet...I could.

-e. I wasn't invited. I bet they had fun anyway. By next week I will be.

-f. It's too far to go.

-g. He didn't say, "Only the smelly kid can't come." It was for the Cheerleaders.

-i. He shoulda swatted that fly. Who wants a fly at a party. :D

...it's a geocaching event, not apartheid...

Speaking as one who recently returned from RSA (and witnessed their but 3rd democratic election ever), the analogy caught my eye.

If I have offedned, I apologize, but your post set me off.

You open with the above statement about South African Elections which lead me to believe that you care about solving problems, then close with a statement about how you are not going to do your part to help. It struck me as inconsistent. What if the world had withheld it's support of Nelson Mandela until he had proven that he could beat the apartheid system. For that matter what if his own people had decided to not vote for him until he could show that he could run a government effectively and provide them with services "more often than not". I hope this ananlogy catches your eye as well. Once again I am sorry if I have offended you, but you made many genralizations about how things are done and how they should be done and then made a point to let everyone know that you fell strongly about your opinions, just not three dollars a month strong.

It was an experiment, it happened, it's over. No geocachers were harmed during the course of this experiment, all of the locals feelings are OK. Why is this such an issue?

It was an experiment, it happened, it's over. No geocachers were harmed during the course of this experiment, all of the locals feelings are OK. Why is this such an issue?

Because some people feel the need to judge others. What they are actually doing is giving the impression that they are better than those they judge. Seems like the elitism that they are accusing others of.

Once again...If members only caches are allowed on gc.com then don't get mad at someone for using a legit feature of the site. Complain to the site if it really ticks you off so bad.

-i. He shoulda swatted that fly. Who wants a fly at a party. :D

OUCH!!!! *buzzes around and lands safely on someone's cell phone*

This is Cacheville... The cachers here are very friendly to one another. We're probably the only group with a monkey married to a frog who gets along with a fly.

Yes, we went to this event and had a blast! :lol: My wife and I were the Chattanooga folks that made the trip. As for Nashville, I haven't heard of any damage, in fact I haven't heard anything except good comments come from this event and yes I keep in touch with a number of the Nashville cachers on a regular basis.

As for the person who hosted this event, you would be hard pressed to find a nicer or more generous man on this earth! He did not and would never exclude anyone from anything and yes we do know this from experence!

Like I have said....This is just a game right??? :anibad:

You wanna go to Members Only Parties and seek Members Only Caches? I see a simple solution: become a Member. There's no discrimination or elitism; ~anyone~ can be a member. You just gotta cough up a few dollars.

Me, I'm a "gated community" sort of person, but not if it costs money. :anibad:

Best Wishes,

Bob

I would so love to have been able to attend this event! Judging from the pictures I have seen, everyone had a great time.

I have been a member of a few groups in my time, and I have donated money/time to many. If I can't support the organization with my time, I feel it is appropriate to donate money (a token of my time).

It ends up benefiting everyone.

(Oh yeah... I specially loved the picture of the black Pug I saw in one of the galleries)

:anibad:

Dave

As for the person who hosted this event, you would be hard pressed to find a nicer or more generous man on this earth! He did not and would never exclude anyone from anything and yes we do know this from experence!

Well, except there was one time...

Edited by Jamie Z

Well, except there was one time...

Empty post meant to convey that the owner has some secret knowledge of unspeakble acts?

If you have something to say, grow a set and say it.

If not, please refrain from throwing out ambiguous statements.

If you do not like my tone, I am sorry. I don't like you making empty statements meant to question the character of my friend.