Magellan Meridian

Shawner

Hello,

I am fairly new to ceocaching and want to know what the handiest features of my unit are and just what out of all the many many many settings there are it is best to have it set at....I'm in Ontario Canada and Magellan hasn't gotten off their butt for elevation and topo information yet.

please help the newbie

About a year ago I posted this message describing my settings. It's a very subjective matter, but it might provide you with a starting point.

Since that post, I've narrowed my screens down to just the map, compass, satellites, and position screen for caching and benchmark hunting. I'll activate some of the other screens sometimes when biking or driving.

The manual aren't very helpful for getting started. If you haven't seen it, take a look at the FAWs referenced in my signature line.

Edited by embra

I would not worry about having a map on the GPS screen, Most of the time I use the compass style screen. But I do use the directroute software now in my truck and then take the Meridain out and change over to the compass style screen for the search. Topo maps on little GPS screens IMO are not all the graet, they are just to small. I rather have a printed map with waypoints on the map.

...And on the flip side of the coin, if you find yourself hiking in mountaneous areas, having the topo map is more than helpful. It allows you to see at a glance where you are. Although you should carry and know how to use a basic map and compass to figure out where you are, this takes time and effort; and then you'll find yourself wishing you had a topo map on the GPS to confirm what you suspect on the paper map. It's worth the extra bucks to have redundancy built into your hiking system/methods.

Magellan Meridian is an excellent model and will get you to your target just as good as a Garmin will. Nevermind the last two ruffians that just posted. They don't know how to stay on topic as described by the OP's post. :(

I was on topic. I made a direct response to the topic heading.

And the smiley face showed I was in jest. I'm sure the Magellan is a fine unit. :(

Well webscouter, I am not "just ribbing you." If you don't have a particular unit, or haven't used one, then keep your opinions to yourself.

I got my MM Color as my 1st GPSr so have only limited knowledge about any other units, and I am still new at this, but am *very* satisfied. In most cases my MMC gets me to the right place, it is me that tends to not find the cache.