Archived Caches

Shadow's

At one time I knew where to find the archived caches, but now I cant seem to find them anymore. Has this changed or can anyone tell me where to find this link again.

Also I would like to talk with some one about adopting a cache. I have approval from the owner but someone placed a cach within the 1/10 mile and I was told that now It would have to be moved.

My question on this is how was this person able to place the cache within the restricted area in the first place?

Thanks,

Rick

Was the cache you wanted to adopt archived? If so, then the area is no longer "restricted". If that's the case (old cache is archived and removed, and you would need to relocate it) why bother adopting? Since it would essentially be a new cache anyway, why not just list it as a new cache?

Oh, and to answer your first question. There was never a list of archived caches. There are a few ways to find them if you know exactly what or where you are looking for, but no formal list of them. You can find an archived cache if you know the GC# or have the url, and it will always been in your found cache list. If anyone else found it, it will be in their finds as well. If you know the area, you can use the gc.com maps with the "show archived caches" option turned on. They won't show up in PQs or normal cache searches.

Edited by Mopar

You have three questions rolled up into one.

First an assumption. You are trying to adopt the archived cache of a cacher and they have given you permission. Everything depends on that assumption.

Look in that cachers profile. You can see their "Stats" one of the stats is caches placed. In that section you can see a list of caches including archived ones.

To adopt a cache email contact@geocaching.com. Include a waypoint number or linke to the cache. the owner should do the same.

Any cache that is going to be unarchived is subject to the guideliens as they stand now. If they were grandfathered from before, that no longer applies. That includes the 528' rule.

If there is a reason why the 528' should be waived (across a river, top and bottom of a cliff or something else) then you should bring that up when you go to adopte the cache.

If I'm off base, please provide more details on the situation and what you are trying to do. You left a lot of blanks.