Cache Listing Updates?

CapnJackSparrow

I (We) are very new to GeoCaching, 2 finds so far, first one by accident. That said, I would also like to say I and about 10 of my closest friends are already addicted. Time restraints due to work schedules and other various excuses have preventd us from getting out in the feild more, but we have all downloaded (to registered versions of GSAK), waypoints of caches that we will be hunting soon. I have also read about 1000 posts on the Groundspeak forums and honestly believe I have come up with a unique idea for a cache. I have read and re-read all the rules for placing a cache and know that my idea does not violate ANY of these rules. I don't want to give away my idea, but it would require being able to "Update" my cache listing on a regular basis. This in no way means moving the cache or changing it's original contents. (Obviously it's contents would eventually be changed by seekers/finders) So my question is this: Is it possible to update the listing, or would I need to go through the entire approval process again each time?

Sorry for making a short story long and thank you in advance for your responce. :o

CapnJackSparrow

I'm not an admin, but I play one in the forums. :o Actually you don't need an admin to answer this. You can update your listing as often as you wish, except for 2 fields...the coordinates and cache type. The coordinates can be changed slightly, but if you need to move it more than .1 mile you'll need an admin to intervene. Only an admin can change the cache type.

Now there is talk of GC.COM locking down the entire cache page, but I really, really, really hope that doesn't happen.

It all depends on what you propose to "update." You noted that you're not proposing to change the cache's location, which is good, since owners can only make minor corrections without involving their reviewer. I would suggest writing to your reviewer, New York Admin, with details of what you'd like to do, before spending lots of time on it, if you don't want to give away any secrets here in the forums. Basically we wouldn't want to see a cache that was entirely different from what was listed, especially if the new version didn't conform to the listing guidelines.

An example of a cache that can get updated regularly is a "holiday cache" which is popular in many areas. In October, the owner stocks the container with halloween-themed goodies; in November, it's Thanksgiving themed; in December, it's Christmas, and so on. The cache page text, background, images, etc., can all be edited to match the theme. That is just one example.

Thank you Briansnat, Keystone Approver. You have answered my question. I promise my idea in no way violates the rules or changes the original cache from any of the prescribed guidelines. I also think it's going to be a lot of fun for a lot of cachers! ;)

Edit: Let me add that if it does pan out, I will share my idea with everyone after I am the first to implement it. (I'm just funny that way)

Edit Edit: I know this was offered in another post, but I am a graphic designer by profession and offer my volluntary services for avitars if anyone is in need. Feel free to email me.

Edited by CapnJackSparrow