What's The Distance Limit For An Offset Cache?

Thot

There is none, that I know.

There is an offset multi near me that has a 20-something mile offset. I didn't find the leg using conventional means, but others have. (There are also some minor clues so you know where to look.)

Keep in mind that the longer the distance, the greater the possible error in your offset location.

As a general rule, I'd keep offsets to reasonable walking distance.

Jamie

Caches are not approved if you can't maintain them. Maintainable distance varies by cacher. The approvers when encountering a new caher kill a chicken and spill it's entrails then read them to figure out that cachers "Maintainable Distance".

If your offest part is past that distance the cache won't be approved. However you can get help to maintain it an so work around the limit and you are back to Jamie Z's answer.

What RK is saying, and it's an aspect I didn't consider, is that cache approves like to know that you can make it to your cache locations to check on them for maintenance.

If you create an offset 50 miles away (whether or not the offset is accurate) it will raise a flag to the approver. The question will not be, "Is this offset too far?", but rather, "Can this person maintain cache locations so far apart?"

Jamie

Mystery or Puzzle Caches

The “catch-all” of cache types, this form of cache often involves complicated puzzles that you will first need to solve in order to determine the coordinates. The only commonality of this cache type is that the coordinates listed are not of the actual cache location but a general reference point, such as a nearby parking location. Unless a good reason otherwise can be provided, the posted coordinates should be no more than 1-2 miles away from the true cache location.  This allows the cache to show up on the proper vicinity searches and to keep the mileage of Travel Bugs that find their way into the cache reasonably correct.

If you choose to submit a cache of this type please give as much detailed information as possible to the approver when you submit the cache.  The approver may still need more information before approving the listing. Please cooperate with these requests.

There's nothing about a Muli-/Offsetcache but use common sense.

Keep in mind that the longer the distance, the greater the possible error in your offset location.

This is not correct. The offset is a difference between two position measurements, so the error in the offset is a function of the errors in these two measurements but not of the distance between the positions.

The traditional method of using an off-set is to give a direction and a distance. Whatever inherent error is present, will be magnified by the distance used. For example if you're told to go 20 paces east from a specific point, chances are you're going to be close enough to find the cache, even though a "pace" is a very imprecise unit of measurement. Change it to 200 paces, and you may not end up anywhere near the cache.