Found My First

Team Morris

Welcomed to the world of benchmark hunting.

Yes, I see you did find an easy one. Some are easier, most are much harder.

35927_400.jpg

Why don't benchmarks have a find count lile caches?
If you are refering to Logged Visits (60 total...), really not necesssary.

Are you suppose to upload a picture for each one? 
How do I log a benchmark?
If you have a digital camera, we ask that you take a picture of the mark, and one or two pictures of the area around the mark. Even if you don't have a digital camera, just log your find for others to read. After you have successfully logged your find, you can click on "[upload images]" to upload your pictures. When uploading images, you can put the station's Designation (name, not PID) as well as its State and location in the "Name:" field - it makes the benchmark gallery more interesting.
Edited by Colorado Papa

From Team Morris' log for AA3760:

My first benchmark find! I assume they get harder.

Well, some are ridiculously easy. Others are devilishly difficult. And some, of course, are impossible, because they no longer exist, but you won't know that until you go hunting. And therein lies the fun!

~ArtMan

Welcome aboard. I'd hazard a guess that it won't be too long before you start looking for dozens of benchmarks every time you head out.

You will know you're addicted when you start watching for the bright orange (or the original metal) witness posts as you're driving along the highway. :)

Also, pictures are nice for those of us that can't read..... :P

John

Other ways to tell you're addicted is when you start looking for BM spray painted on the curb or you slow down when driving past corners and storm drains to see if there is disk there.

In terms of difficult marks, there is one near my work that I have been trying to find on and off for over a year. I've been up there with a shovel a couple of times digging around what MIGHT have been a witness post with no results.

DX4572 - CAMP

The last recovery says the mark could be in place under a two-foot high dirt berm. I have found the berm but am having trouble locating the exact location on the berm which extends along the entire bluff. The dikes used as reference points have been partially demolished to allow the estuary to return to a natural state so I have a hard time using them to find the mark.

Unfortunately, the berm has since hardened to a rock-like state that would most likely require a pick-axe to get through so I am loathe to arbitrarily start digging it up in hopes of finding the disk. My best option to find the disk (that may or may no be there) is to use a metal detector. I don't currently own one and am unable (so far) to justify purchasing to my wife. She supports my hobbies only so far... :laughing: