Forum Private Messages

Thot

Moderator's Note: this thread was split off from an existing thread.

Totally off-topic, but with a name withthat many extended characters, be sure to check your PM's often.  There is a bug in the forum software that won't notify you when new Private Messages arrive.  It creates a backlog and does funyn things to the system, requiring a moderator to remind people to check their messages...

As long as we're off the topic and the OP seems to have left the building . .

Most online forums I’ve participated in have some kind of positive system for notifying you if you have internal mail. For example, some pop up a “you have mail” notice each time you return to the forum. Others (based on an option in your profile) will pop up such a notice anytime you get mail while logged in the forum. Others will send you an email notice that you have internal mail.

As best as I can tell you have to remember to watch the thingy at the top of the forum screen or you’ll miss your mail. I wasn’t aware of this and the first internal message I got sat there for days because I had never noticed the thingy at the top. Now, I get so little I forget to check it and the same thing happens.

Am I right, there’s no positive notice of internal mail?

Edited by Keystone Approver
I will be glad to answer the questions about Private Message notifications in a separate topic, or to split out Thot's post into a separate topic. I'll check back tomorrow sometime.

That would be great. Split it out. Or I'll post in a separate thread if you prefer.

The Groundspeak forums have an instant notification feature for private messages sent through the forums. The window announcing the PM should pop up when you first enter the forums. If you're already signed on and someone sends you a PM, the PM window appears the next time you refresh a page.

A common reason why people do not see these announcements is because they have popup windows blocked. Popup blockers should have the ability to allow popup windows from trusted sites - be sure to add forums.Groundspeak.com to your list of sites. Your PM's should then be poppin'.

One other feature is the ability to receive a confirmation e-mail, sent to your personal e-mail box, every time someone sends you a private message. The default setting for this is "OFF." To receive e-mail notifications, go to "My Controls" then "Options" then "Settings" then "E-mail." Check the box next to the words "Send a confirmation e-mail when I receive a new private message."

A common reason why people do not see these announcements is because they have popup windows blocked.  Popup blockers should have the ability to allow popup windows from trusted sites - be sure to add forums.Groundspeak.com to your list of sites. Your PM's should then be poppin'.

Edited by SF1 to highlight the pop-up info.

Hey KA,

Thanks, also. I just did the "copy and paste" to my browser too. :laughing: SF1