Question On Geocoins

TheDiver

You will probably get different opinions on this.

Personally, I would trade not just something, but something nice, for a coin.

Also, unless it was an especially coveted coin, I wouldn't return to a found cache to get one.

If you do return to a found cache and take a coin without a trade, it is my observation that announcing it in the forums would be a mistake.

If it seems fishy enough for you to ask, you can bet that some of the "type A" forum posters will think so too.

Try to remember something you may have seen or read around here someplace:

Trade up, trade even, or don't trade at all.

"Type A" has little or nothing to do with a number posts or finds and certainly, in my opinion, is not a goal to acheive.

I was trying to say that some people might feel (some strongly) that taking without a trade of some kind as being tacky or contributing to the decline of a cache.

Asking for opinions on these subjects almost always creates a heated discussion between purists and elitists against no-rules and it's just a game folks.

Cheers, happy caching, good times...etc

I say it depends.

If you don't trade when you drop off a TB or coin, then don't trade when you pick one up.

If you do trade when you drop off a TB or coin, then do trade when you pick one up.

(By trade, I mean you swap the TB for something, not another ancillary trade.)

edit: If you mean you just go take a coin and keep it for yourself personally, then yes, trade. If you intend to put it in another cache, then just treat it like a TB and move it along.

Edited by crash331

I say you can go back. I have seen logs were cachers have gone back to get a TB. I would put one restriction on it, and mind you it's only a thought, but if it is in a high activity cache then I'd say leave it. I place a bug in a very low active cache and have been thinking about going back to get it to place it in another cache.

But the key point to all this is they should be moved on. If you wish to have one to keep, buy one and use it as your own personal TB and log it in and out of caches you find. This way you can see how many miles you have travelled to find caches.

Coins are cool tho. I like them better than the dog tag bug.

Ken