Paper Caching

Ximat

My routine for caching with paper includes printing out the cache page without logs, then using the reverse of that page to print out the topo map of the cache site. As far as searching goes, I "usually" search until I find; most of the time I have my two boys and/or husband with me who find it before I do. :laughing: My last search was three days ago amid the rain from the remnants of Hurricane Frances. I was trying very hard to be FTF. But, after 45 minutes without any luck and being soaked through, I gave up and went home empty-handed. That evening, when it had stopped raining, two cachers found it. Sometimes, it takes me only a few minutes to locate the cache, sometimes a lot longer. I think my latest adventure was the longest I spent timewise.

My paper handleing methods vary depending on if I am just going after a local 'qquickie' or if i am planning a 'tour'

If I am just going out for that 'quickie' then all I realy do is write downt the coords and hint, if any, and head out. Is quicker for me to dothat than to go through the whole printing routine.

If i amplanning to go after morethan one or two caches, I will print out the 'printer friendly' cache page and either a topozone map or a mapquest map of the immediate area around the cache. I will then 'route out' the caches, placing them in order I wish to visitthem to save undue backtracking. then off I go ..

No biggie, really

I carry all my cache pages in an Avery smart folio (glorified file folder). If I'm going to more than one general location (several parking stops), I only carry the pages for the caches that are there. On each, I note any 'clues' from previous logs. I also use the page to jot down what I took & left, anything I want to mention when I register the find (like the condition of the cache, troublespots, etc.) and what coords my GPSr recorded for that location.

I do the same as hikemeister, except that I might copy a topo of a cache in an area that looks especially difficult to find--or hand draw a quick map. I usually add a quick note about nearby cross streets, or likely places to park, as well. So I have about 6 lines of text or so for each cache.

For dense areas of urban caches, I sometimes print out just the list of 20 nearest caches, and hand write notes next to the listings. That way I can get about 15 to a page.

I used to print off the cache page(I have 2 binders full of them) but now I write the cords. and note any useful info from the logs and go for it. I have a PDA and have considered using the options for it but for me, it's just as easy writing down the cord. and notes.

here WAS my method...

1) I would plan my route

2) I would pan across the roads using the gc maps it find and identify the caches in my route.

3) Print out the cache pages

4) staple them together IN THE ORDER I PLAN TO TRAVEL

5) tear off the sheets as i find them.

sometimes i would have a going there stack, a am there stack, and a going home stack.

I must be the worst at this then. I write out all coordinates, clues, and notable things on left over paper napkins from fast food places. I can usually fit 3-6 per napkin. I have a good visual memory, so I dont need maps. Then off we go. Although we dont usually go after large amounts in one day, we have gotten a dozen or so per day this way.

I got a plastic folder to keep the pages in. After running all over the place with the page in my sweaty hands (or a paper folder), the ink would start to run, and... :blink: I would do a search of the area I intended to go, print out the (printer friendly) pages, download a .LOC file so I could upload the coords to the GPSr, and then go. I actually had different folders for different areas in a three-ring binder, so if I happened to be running around, I had it all with me.

Now, I have an inexpensive PDA (Sony SJ-22 w/16MB memory and color display is now roughly $40 on eBay) which takes up a lot less space than the binder ever did! :) My advice would be to forget paper caching (except for the quickie FTF's where you can't wait the five minutes for a PQ to run) and start enjoying that premium membership.

:) I lkie to start out the night before the outing and get all the caches located on a map and arrange them in a logical order. I download the coords into a GPSr and give each one a keyword that suggests its location, i.e., one, two, three, etc. Then it's off to the field with GPSr and camera in hand and the wife in tow. When the day is done we log the finds on the Geocaching.com website and put the digital pictures of our adventure in a 3 ring binder we've made up as our personal log. If I forget to take a camera, I print out the cache page and use that as my personal log entry. :D:blink::D

For a long time I was one of the unfortunates who had to use paper so lets see if I can remember my routine.

If I was caching for a day I would print out a National geographics topo with the waypoints on it so I could see in what order to search.

I printed expanded views of these maps if I had multiple roads to travel on.

I printed out the cache pages (with clues deciphered just in case.

I stapled the maps to each cache page.

I carried one of those clipboard with a lid and put all the pages in the order I wanted to search and away I went.

Of course this was not so good on windy days. :blink:

Grab the pertinent info from the cache page and print in a word document, copy and print the topo/terra server images in the word document as well.

Might look like this:

=========================

The Griffin (GCGH6C) - offset, 75 feet to bearing 195° from coords (N 41° 26.995 W 088° 15.305)

b055441c-6122-485d-9c81-60968bed8f3a.jpg68c8eff8-7efd-4490-828b-d1c0c15cf83b.jpg

=========================

On those huge days with more than 10 caches planned, snap it all into a 3 ring light weight binder. When I'm existing the car, grab the ones that are in that park and stuff them into my pocket.

Write notes about each cache on the back of ONE of the pages (usually the first cache).

Edited by Markwell