My first rookie mistake!

stargazer21

It probably won't be the last, either. But like the first ding on a new car, this one bites! icon_wink.gif

I was just looking at some new web logs of the first caches I found. (Yes, I get a charge when I see that someone has taken what I left! LOL!) I read a log from my second find, and apparently I inadvertantly split up a prize! I didn't know there were more parts to it! I still have no idea what the other parts might have even looked like.

I feel like such a schmuck. icon_rolleyes.gif

Oh well, rookie mistake #1 is now out of the way. icon_wink.gif I'll be heading back out there this weekend to put something cool in it.

Anyway, just had to vent and confess my sins. (MY Catholic grandmother would be soooo impressed! icon_biggrin.gif)

Geocaching by day...hockey at night!

Life is good icon_biggrin.gif

I wouldn't be so hard on yourself - sometimes it's hard to tell. It makes sense anything that comes in multiple parts in a cache should somehow be kept together, either by zip lock , string or some other method.

But that isn't always the case. I've twice seen a 2-part car toy where one is the car and the other is some sort of device that propells it in a cache. They were unbagged and the parts were seperated. Looking at the logs of the cache in question, I'd guess yours was a similar case.

So I don't think that is your fault. Don't fret and get out there and try again, I'm sure you can make a better mistake than that one! icon_smile.gif

Me and that dog are gonna take a walk in the woods, and only one of us is coming back...

My booboo was even worse. I picked up a travel bug tag and took it back home which was about 150 miles away. Got home, read the TB page and found that the "GeoCacher's Cookbook" was supposed to be attached to it. Had to drive all the way back over about a week later to get the rest of it,, Have to admit that it was a good day still. Found 3 more caches on this trip. icon_biggrin.gif

Cheer up; it's OK to make mistakes, as long as you don't make any given mistake more than two or three times in the same month.

There are still lots of mistakes ahead of you -- and bigger ones, too. I'd tell you some of mine -- but I wouldn't want to spoil your sense of awe when you realize how easily you could have done something, had you done it right.

Having said that, I still often forget to mark the location of the car when I set out. Sometimes it doesn't make any difference, but in a big park with lots of unofficial trails...

Forgetting the bug juice is another one high on my list.

Just consider this a learning experience.

BD

150 Caches later here are some of my mistakes.

1) Stinging Nettle

2) Stinging Nettle (can't stay out of it)

3) Not using a spotter on a trail correctly (dented gas tank and slashed tire)

4) No mosquito repellant.

5) Not enough Water.

6) Underestimating how much time it will take...

7) Not marking my car as a waypoint.

8) Forgetting extra batteries.

9) Forgetting the cache print out.

10) Forgetting to check the cache page before I go (and learning later the cache was archived)

11) Not trusting the GPS for finding a cache.

12) Trusting the GPS for finding a cache.

13) Destroying a caches hiding spot (it was accidental, but I've still not lived it down)

14) Undertrading.

15) Picking a stupid signature item.

16) Not being careful enough on the rocks.

17) Mistyping my coordinates when describing a cache.

18) Coming up with stupid cache concepts.

I could go on. I'm sure there will be more to follow.

I too inadvertently split up a travel bug with some of its travelling companions. Found the cache at the same time as another geocacher who was caching with his father. I saw the cute little stuffed tiger with a tag on it, and didn't realize that all the postcards in the bag were with it. The other cachers dad took one of the postcards as his trade item.

Came home, logged the bug and THEN found out that the postcards were part of the TB. Fortunately, I was going to be back in the park two days later (Cleveland MetroParks Summer Social), so I picked up the postcards and reunited them (except for the one that the other cacher's father (who wouldn't have been able to get it back to the cache, and doesn't use computers...)

So, I did reunite them, and added an extra local postcard to hopefully atone for having lost the one postcard.

"You will kneel before her in her altar in the trees" - Tara MacLean, Let Her Feel The Rain