Travel Bug Etiquette

TheDiver

Travel Bugs are almost a "game within a game" and their objective is to move around according the bugs goals. It is also perfectly proper to re-visit a 'cache to grab or drop off a TB... just don't log the 'cache as another find, simply post a note saying "Dropped off/picked up XXX TB... blah, blah, blah..".

Nope. Even moving it away from it's goal isn't the end of the world.

I do notice that after finding a bunch now, I tend to leave them unless I can transport it twenty miles or more and ones with directional goals I leave unless I happen to be going it's way (meaning I don't plan another outing just for a bug).

Not because of etiquette, just personal preference.

I have actually picked up one t.b. that was in need of some correspondence. The owners (newlyweds) had moved from the east coast to Az. The t.b. was started in Ca. by a brother, and was back in Ohio, headed east. When I emailed the owners, we changed its direction. So, sometimes you don't know, or the t.b. may not have much information on it. You find out when you get home what you need to know. I tend to get "nervously involved" with the t.b. and take it so seriously that I can't relax until it is placed. I know that, so I fight it. But do be responsible. :rolleyes:

Some cache owners explicitly request that you leave a TB if taking one, but if there is not such request in the cache description, then there is no obligation on your part.

:huh:

Yeah, and some bug owners respectfully request that if you find their bug in a cache like this and can help it move, but don’t have a bug to trade, that you ignore the cache owner and take the bug anyway. Caches like this can stifle a bug’s movement. And that you not place their bug in a cache with this restriction, in the first place.

Cache Well