Multicache With 60cs

MaverickNH

I DL'd the waypoint for a multicache and drove to the trailhead to begin. I turned on my GPSMAP 60CS and did a Find for the Geocache and a Go To and it gaive me an Arriving dialog. Checking over the description, the first waypoint was at a position other than that I DL'd in a .gpx file for the Cache.

1. Is it common for the waypoint given in .gpx files to be a starting point and not the first waypoint in a multicache?

2. How close do you get before a GPSMAP 60CS says Arriving?

Regarding question #1: What's the waypoint ID GCXXXX number for the cache you're asking about? It may be possible that the first waypoint listed was for a parking area or something like that.

As far as #2 goes I think it varies by speed. Sometimes when driving I'll see that notice as far as 1/2 a mile away. When walking to a cache I normall see it within 50 feet of the cache.

Zack

1. Is it common for the waypoint given in .gpx files to be a starting point and not the first waypoint in a multicache?

The waypoint that shows up in a .GPX file is whatever is at the top of the cache page. Any other waypoints on that page must be entered into the GPSr manually. If you are going paperless then this isn't a major problem, usually, since the cache page is in your PDA.

How close do you get before a GPSMAP 60CS says Arriving?

I would suppose that depends on what you have your alarm distance set at. I can't quite afford a 60 or 76 unless I sell my other three receivers (eTrex camo, MeriGreen, MeriPlat), so I can't tell you how to do that. Perhaps there's a manual somewhere? :blink:

Suaully you have to be really close for it to pop up the black box that says arriving at GCXXXX when walking. Like around 50 feet.

I have a 60CS and it's awesome. Nothing but good experience with it. With my external glisson antenna, I get accuracy of 8 ft with WAAS on.

I dont use the altitude feature that often, but its nice to have. Now the compass feature, that is invaluable. it would be a pain in the neck to have to walk 4mph each time I wanted a compass bearing.

it seems to me that the "Arriving" notice pops up when the unit thinks that you are 10 seconds away. This distance changes according to your average speed on the approach. Chances are good that it will take more than 10 seconds because you will probably be slowing or stopping as you get closer.

It's a great GPS and does it's job well. It gets you to the coords entered. A very large percentage of caches are purposely listed with near by or starting point coords and all hunts should begin by reading the cache description. Especially multi and mystery caches.

Not all of the information to find a cache is loaded in the GPS and you will probably be dissapointed if you simply hit "Find Geocache" and go without first reading the description.

Hope this helps...have fun!

After re-reading the original post, let me add...

When you turned on the GPS at the trailhead, you were at the intended starting place listed by the cache owner. Close enough in fact to display the "Arriving" notice as soon as it was directed to find the cache. This is not uncommon at all, particularly at a trailhead. Subsequent coords to the waypoints and cache will then have to be entered manually according to information in the description and or clues found along the way.

Here is an example of a multi-cache with listed coords at a trailhead.

Edited by Kfam