Geocacher Or Domestic Terrorist?

Ed & Julie

noiw here's a real domestic terroristgps stalker

Welll! I have heard in the national news that the state of california is considering doing a similar thing to stalkers and sex offenders using a tracking unit on the parolee/criminal to prevent them from coming within a certain distance from thier target. Location is transmitted by cell phone network to a local traqcking office who would then call the police if the offender gets too close.

I do see room for a pricticle joke... just to mess with somone's head. Hide a tracker then post it as a moving cache?? LOL but dont tell the mark...

I too have been stopped on numerous occasions by law enforcement. Each time, they were as courteous as I was to them, and usually left me alone once I explained what I was doing and freely offered up proof to back up those activities.

One situation in particular that wasn't the best (part my fault, part due to circumstances). Just after 9/11, we had some moron driving around town looking for an Arab to kill. He finds this dark-skinned guy wearing a turban in front of a gas station, pumps him with rounds and takes off. He was a Sikh, not a Muslim. A year or so later, there was a celebration to honor the victim in a local city park not far from where he was killed. Well, there was a new cache in the same park (other side of the park) and I wanted to grab it along with several others in the area.

I didn't realize the celebration I saw was the same one I had read about just a few hours before in the paper, and attracted the attention of a couple of the many park rangers milling about the park. They asked me what I was doing, and became more suspicious because of the pistol on my hip (no CCW at the time). Everything was going alright, and two police officers happened upon the area, and were equally as suspicious about the pistol and my lurking around large boulders. I was run for warrants twice, and allowed to go about my business 20 or so minutes later. One of them even offered me a 'good luck' on my hunt after leaving. They did inform me of the event and he nature of it (light bulb), and explained why they were so leery.

I should have paid better attention to where/when the event was, and perhaps left my pistol in my truck. It wouldn't have prevented my being detained though. So I can't really place blame on anyone, as it was just a situation that had to run its course given the nature of the celebration in the park. For all they knew, I was a cousin of this moron looking to knock a few more off.

I don't think you need some expensive tracker.

I think this guy just put a regular gpsr on the car,and just retrieved it and downloaded the tracks. He got caught when he went to change the batts.

But if that was the case, how would he show up "unexpectedly" at a bookstore when she was there? The only way is if the tracky-thing somehow transmitted to him that she was there, so he could go join her.

If it was just a GPSr and tracklogs, he'd know all about where she was last week, and even then only when he goes into the car to download the logs.

Still creepy though.

It's easy -- especially if you are an amatuer radio operator (ham). There is a network of relay stations that will take Automated Position Reporting Service (APRS) data from a "tracker" and broadcast it even to the internet.

I have friends that keep their APRS unit running while on vacation in their motor room. It's easy to see where the are and where they have been.