Garmin Clearance At Target

tubemonkey

I just picked up an eTrex yellow for $50 and two Forerunner 201's for $75 each from Target yesterday; plus one eTrex neoprene case for $7.50 and a couple of eTrex car adapters for $15 each. Previously, I picked up one MetroGuide USA v4.02 for $50 and one MetroGuide USA v5 for $50. And I'm not even a Garmin owner.

Some Target stores in the Seattle area are in the process of clearancing out their remaining Garmin GPS stock. At one time, they carried several models (all low end) -- eTrex yellow, Venture, Geko 101, Rino 110, etc -- but lately, they're just carrying the eTrex yellow ($100) and the Forerunner 201 ($150); plus a few accessories.

One thing to note about Target is that their clearance prices vary from store to store and they aren't required to price match a different store's lower clearance price. IOW, it pays to shop around.

Out of the three stores I checked yesterday, one store was still selling these items at full price, a second store had them marked down 30%, and a third store was selling them for half off. I'm keeping my eye on the first two stores, as I fully expect them to eventually lower their prices.

Hurry though, because fantastic buys at Target disappear fast. The store I picked up the eTrex from had only one in stock. If they'd have had more, I'd have taken them.

tm

Thanks for the Heads up. I just picked up 3 of the forerunner 201's, but I had to pay $100 each. I kept one for myself, gave the other two to the kids as they do a lot of the long distance trail running stuff. They're interesting little units, well worth the money in my opinion. While probably not a good choice, I would think you could even cache with them in a pinch. I'd really like to find some software that would do the calorie consumption computations using the tracks of other GPS units. It would be interesting to see what sort of energy it takes to do say a 20 mile hike with 8,000 feet or so of elevation gain carrying a pack.....

Once again, thanks for the heads up.

Just got back from Target. The store that had these units for 30% off last week, just dropped their prices to 50% off (Wed seems to be mark down day). So I picked up 3 more eTrex yellows for $50 each, along with neoprene cases and car adapters. They were out of Forerunners. I haven't checked the third store yet, but since they were selling these items for full price, any mark downs will be small at this point.

Not sure if I'll keep the Forerunners and MetroGuides I picked up earlier. Those I may return.

As to the eTrexs, it looks like I've got Christmas presents -- backup units for my sons and myself with one to spare.

tm

I'm quite happy that I got myself one of the little forerunners. 90 to 95 percent of my GPS usage is for stuff other than geocaching, most being hiking and exploring. The little forerunner works great for the simple trails, and as a fun to have addition to the longer stuff. I'm having a lot of fun with the calorie consumption computations. Sometimes it gives you some pretty good bragging rights when compared to say distance. For instance:

Today, I went after a cache that I was able to park .64 miles away from. Not far right? In getting to the cache however, it took me over two hours, and I burned over 1,000 calories while traveling a distance of just over 3 miles. (amount of climbing is used in the computation for calorie expenditure) While walking the dog yesterday, a journey within a couple tenths of a mile of the same distance, but in the flatlands of the valley floor, I only burned 287 calories. Now I get to pick and chose which numbers make it sound the best. Distance if it's in flat terrain, calories expended for the tough stuff. Now I need to take this little thing out on a tough hike. I know a couple of fun dayhike trails that will probably push the calories burned thing over 5,000.

Who has the best prices / service for after market cables -- PC and car -- for the eTrex? I need 4 of each.

Searching_ut -- glad the Forerunners are working out for you. :lol:

Sorry the rest of you guys are striking out, but Target's a bit fickle on which stores clearance out which items and at which prices. All I can say is to check back every now and then. I've been pleasantly surprised when I least expected it.

tm

I use either Pfranc or PC-Mobile for cables. I prefer Pfranc, because I usually buy just connectors and make my own cables. I still have some connectors left over. With Pfranc, you buy from a seller more or less close to you. PC-Mobile is in the far east, Hong Kong I believe, but their shipping is no higher than from US sellers, and just about as fast. I recommend Pfranc first, then PC-Mobile. I've bought from both, and was happy with both.

I tried Target, and they had both the yellow eTrex and the Forerunner, but at regular prices. I couldn't find any Mapsource packages at all. I would only buy at a substantially reduced price, because I don't really need anything.

http://gpsgeek.com/page5.html has good prices on cables and such. Their shipping is somewhat abusive, but if you're ordering 8 cables (hint: consider combo cables) it at least isn't a substantial part of your total order.

Thanks, and you're right about the shipping. Order just one item and it's over 50% of the cost of that item! Dang! Since I'm ordering 4 of the combo cables, the cost per cable is only $16 (incl S&H). Compare that to Garmin's cost of $50 each.

Looks like that third Target isn't going to lower it's prices at all. These items are still selling for the full price. At least I got a good supply of eTrex's.

The Forerunner just isn't going to work out. It's not quite what my son had in mind and for me, it doesn't have enough GPS functionality. Too bad it wasn't the Foretrex, which is actually a Geko 201 on a wrist. I would've kept that one.

As to the MetroGuides, I was contemplating a couple of Legends; but not any longer. Instead, I picked up a couple of ST Maps w/ Topo.

So it looks like a trip back to Target to return some cables, Forerunners, and MetroGuides.

tm

tubemonkey, could you give me a hint which Target? I've called just about every Target store in the Seattle area for an eTex 12V adapter, and they either say they don't have them, or are selling them full price.

Thanks,

ThirtySeven.

I got them at the Puyallup and Lakewood stores. They're now out of stock thanks to me, but I will be returning them since I found a better deal on-line for a combo PC/DC cable:

GPSgeek

This deal is only better because I'm buying 4 cables and will get a better S&H rate. S&H on one item is $6.95; that's outrageous.

Like I stated above, I'm returning the Forerunners, the MetroGuides, and the DC cables. If you're interested in one of the cables, let me know and we can work something out before I return them. I paid $16.30 (incl tax) for each one and they are Garmin cables (part # 010-10203-00). You can have it for the same price I paid.

tm

Oh, I'd skimmed right past that link previously. And the cable with the wall-adapter is nifty, although I suppose if it were possible to buy a wall-adapter to lighter socket inexpensively, the standard 12v design could be used in-car and in-home.

Thanks for the offer; I guess I'll pass on the Garmin one in favor of a combo from gpsgeek, myself. I could split some S&H on a combined order if you were up for that.

if it were possible to buy a wall-adapter to lighter socket inexpensively, the standard 12v design could be used in-car and in-home.

There are several such described by name and with linky links in the "power and cable" section of my FAQ below. (OK, you might not have had a reason to look in a Magellan FAQ for this, but that's where it is...)

I could split some S&H on a combined order if you were up for that.

Sounds great, though I'm not sure how we'd set it up. It's super simple to add one more item to the order. I'll be placing it the first part of next week (27-28). I have a friend who's thinking about a few cables and I won't find out from him until later this week. Let me know.

tm

if it were possible to buy a wall-adapter to lighter socket inexpensively, the standard 12v design could be used in-car and in-home.

There are several such described by name and with linky links in the "power and cable" section of my FAQ below. (OK, you might not have had a reason to look in a Magellan FAQ for this, but that's where it is...)

I use those devices for my cell phone and now my GPS. I gave some to family members for the same purpose. I keep one in the house and one in the car. It should work great with the GPS, saving batteries. For the cell phone, you never know when you'll need to charge it while visiting a friend or traveling. Who wants to sit in a parked car while your phone is charging?

Everyone

Think cell phones when you need accessories for your GPS. Not everything has to be GPS specific. Cases, mounts, AC to DC adapters, etc can be easily adapted for your GPS.

tm

Thanks, Robert, I was thinking of the Radio Shack adapter, which was why I was wishing for inexpensive. :laughing: But there's a few links you have that are a good bit cheaper, so that's neat. I was even thinking of getting a wall-wart and socket from Fry's and just make one, although maybe Fry's has something ready-made. I've looked at Fry's web site, but it's a bit difficult to find things, and they may have more in store than on the web.

Tubemonkey, I can't get to your profile to email you. I'd like a cable, although I gather you're Puyallup-y, whereas I'm Kirkland-ish. I could meet you in Kent. :bad:

wow cool deal. the targets in my area still have the yellow for $99.99 and then some jopgging one that goes on your wrist, they only carry 2, and i did find 1 copy of mapsource metroguide usa and it has been clearanced for a good 3-4 months, ive been watching it because it was $70, untill a week ago when it went to $35 and i bought it. i would scan it every time i was in the store since my wife works at target and im there quite often.

anyways being somewhat familiar with target, like i said my wife works there, she has worked there i think 6 or 7 years now, and i used to work there for 3+ years, target does frequent changes they call transition, they clearance out seasonal items and redo everything and such, sometimes they will clearance an item and get it back in with just a different package, but the old ones will clearance starting at 30% off and if its a seasonal item eventually reaching 90% off. other stuff besides seasonal stuff rarely reaches 50%

anyways, good luck on the bargain hunting. ;)

Target's an interesting store to say the least. Sometimes I'll see an item in there and wonder why they're even bothering. Case in point. Several years ago, they were selling some sleeping bags for $80 and $100. These were qualofil mummy bags rated for +20 and 0. I just knew these bags wouldn't sell. The typical Target shopper is not going to spend that kind of money on a sleeping bag, and folks who would spend in this range wouldn't even consider Target as a source to begin with.

So I kept my eye on these bags whenever I went into the store. One day, I walked in and noticed an entire aisle dedicated to these two items only and the prices had fallen drastically -- they were both selling for just under $20. So I went and grabbed a couple of carts and eventually ended up with about 6 of each.

Granted, these aren't the best quality bags on the market, but they're more than adequate for sleepovers, camping at state parks, and as an emergency item in the car for winter travel. Needless to say, they made great gifts for family members.

Bottom line -- if you shop Target on a regular basis, always make a stop in the outdoor and electronics sections before leaving the store. That's how I end up getting these great deals.

tm

The Target store in Redmond had a wall-car adapter (a Sanyo), but at $18, not $8. Shucks. I guess I need to start calling around again.

The South Sound stores have them for $8. What part of the store are you looking in? Target sells Sanyo branded cell phone accessories (higher price) in the electronics section and generic branded accessories (lower price) in the automotive section. I've even seen stores with three different brands in three different sections. Why? I haven't a clue.

Anyway, check the automotive section. That's where they're selling for $8.

tm

check the automotive section. That's where they're selling for $8.

Was $10 in Woodinville, but close enough. This has certainly been an enlightening experience. Now that I think about it, I didn't see a lot of those fake leather holsters in the automotive department. Are people that care more about their cell-phones than their cars just fools with money? :mad:

I guess we know which section of the store they'd put the deed to the Brooklyn Bridge. "And we'll throw in a custom faceplate for your phone!"

Thanks again, tubemonkey.

As to a meeting place, how about the Seattle REI? I have a son who lives on Capitol Hill, so I could easily swing on over to REI while visiting him.

PM me and I'll send you my email address.

Hate to post to an old thread, but PM and email haven't worked so far. Did you get a chance to get an extra cable, tubemonkey? I'm getting closer to a big trip I want to be able to use it on, but didn't want to order one if you'd gotten one for me. Please let me know either way, as soon as possible.

Thanks,

Thirtyseven