Will Cityselect And Metroguide Work With A 60cs?

crash331

No autorouting with metroguide?

ANd I dont think I understand the whole unlock idea. Is "unlocking" basically the same as a serial key for other programs?

If I "unlock" a map, do I only get GA (the region Im in) or do I get the whole US?

Edited by crash331

A couple of older versions of MetroGuide provided autorouting data but the most recent v5 and v6 do not. v4 which does provide autorouting data can be found on eBay.

What region & map data you can unlock depends on the software title. City Select gives you the whole US while BlueChart is divided into regions.

The unlocked maps can only be used on the GPS unit that the maps are unlocked for. With locked Garmin maps, you get a 7 or 8 digit (depending on the product) coupon code. You then enter this coupon code at the unlock website, enter the GPS unit's serial number and then recieve an unlock code. You then enter this unlock code in the unlock wizard from within MapSource and the maps are unlocked. With City Select, you get two unlock codes in case you want to unlock maps for a second unit that you own.

Read up on Garmin's Unlock FAQ HERE

Edited by SergZak

OK, here's the deal:

Only a few of the most expensive products need unlocking - City Select, City Navigator, Blue Charts are the few that immediately come to mind. Some European MetroGuides might need unlocking too - I dunno.

Topo, WorldMap, MetroGuide USA do NOT require unlocking. You can "theoretically" install those on any number of computers and upload the maps to any number of GPSrs.

If you buy a product that needs unlocking:

If you BUY a MapSource product new, separately from a GPSr, you will get a certificate that will unlock the ALL of the maps to any 2 Garmin GPSrs. It ain't a complicated process - you install the maps, and the installation prompts you to the Unlock Wizard. You type in the codes along with your name and address, and Bang-Zip-Boom - you're on your way. Garmin will email a 25-digit unlock code that is specific to that particular GPSr. If your computer blows up, or you otherwise need to re-install the MapSource product again, all you'll need is that 25-digit unlock code (keep it with your install disks). And hey, if you screw up like I did and don't provide your entire email address, you can email Garmin - give 'em your GPSr's Unit ID number and the code on the certificate, they'll be happy to resend your 25-digit code to the proper address.

Some GPS products may come with a code that will only unlock 1 or 2 regions out of 8 or 9 regions on the disk. The idea is that people could use just the regions that they need and not have to pay for regions that they don't need. If they want more, they can pay for more. This proved to be a very UNPOPULAR concept as many people feel they should be entitled to the whole pie instead of just a slice or two.

If you've somehow got the disks and no codes, then you can call Garmin, give 'em a credit card number, and they'll get you going.

You don't see many questions about unlocking here because it really is easy :P

Edited by Neo_Geo

I loaded MG v4 and CS v6 on my GPSMAP 60cs and the MG was just holding memory I could have used for City Select. Version 4 of Metro Guide was the last MG that had routing built in (Garmin dropped it in version 5 and after). City Select is by far a better choice.

I still MG v4 in my Vista I just uncheck the "Include route data" in the maps tab when selecting maps to upload into my Vista.

I just uncheck the "Include route data" in the maps tab when selecting maps to upload into my Vista.

:P

You do this to conserve memory? Because the GPS unit does not have built in routing or you dont want to use it?

If you uncheck "Include route data" does that mean that you also CANNOT download a route that you create a route on your PC and download it into your handheld GPS unit? Or does it mean that you *can* download a route, but you just cannot use your GPS unit to make a new route in the field?

Thanks - Im new - part of my learning style is 101 questions.

edit: still learning to spell.

Edited by GeoPup&ShelpieGirl

What Neo_Geo said.... (:

The check box for routing data is the information a GPS needs to find a route. If your GPS does not do routing you should uncheck the box to save the memory for more maps.

If I select 20 maps around where I live in north east Florida it comes to 23.5 Mbs with the check box on (Metro guild v4). The Vista holds 24Mbs of maps and uncheck the box the same maps will now take 13.9 Mbs leaving lots more space for more maps.

In Garmin handheld units the memory for maps, waypoints, tracks, and routes are all different so holding too much of one will not impact how many of the others you can have.

/added/

If you have the older Vista this applys. IF you are using the newer Vista C then you should use the City Select because it can route.

/added/

Edited by we3dements
No autorouting with metroguide?

ANd I dont think I understand the whole unlock idea.  Is "unlocking" basically the same as a serial key for other programs?

If I "unlock" a map, do I only get GA (the region Im in) or do I get the whole US?

Metroguide 4 will autoroute on the 60CS. ;D

I prefer MG4 to City Select because there are more water and RR details. Something very useful where I live. If you care more about Points of Interest and current business info City Select is the way to go. But in my opinion if you are primiarlly interested in small details for Geocaching you might want to check out MG4.

case in point. I was recently looking for a cache near Naperville, IL. MG4 clearly showed a stream between ME and the cache. City Select showed no stream at all. Might not seem like a big deal but it saved me a mile and half of walking to the nearest bridge and back.

Every mapset boils down to give and tack. For every POI crammed onto the CD something else has to give. With City Select details like cemetery roads, rail roads and water features have been dropped or diminished.

At least where I live. The majority of the small lakes in my area don't appear in city select.

Edited by jollybgood