Addendum To Off Limits

okay i posted concerning the hiding of caches on or near eletrical equipment,rest ares, etc.

according to the dept of public safety here in kentucky:

all electrical equipment is off limits to all except those licensed, qualified, or authorised by the state of kentucky.

in other words in ky you really shouldnt put a cache on anything that may become electrically energised

if you are not a licensed electrician then stay away from all electrical equipment to include water pumps,air conditioners,telephone relay boxes, or anything that has the potential to become electrically energised. (there was a lot more info on something called lock out/tag out)

guard rails, highway signs, and rest areas

guard rails are a no no in kentucky plain and simple...no microcaches hidden in guard rails especially near busy streets,intersections or water borne thoroughfares.

( im not sure what a waterborne thoroughfare is but i think thats the guard rails that are supposed to keep a car out of a ditch)

highway signs are state property leave them alone!!!

rest areas in general, i still couldnt get clear info on that, it seemed to be a gray area. i spent more time explaining what geocaching is than i did getting to ask questions

regards

archie

The Geocache Listing Requirements/Guidelines that you were pointed to last evening address this point indirectly. They require the cache hider to obtain "adequate permission" for their cache placement. I have personal knowledge of rest stop caches and guardrail micros placed with permission. But as a cache reviewer, I have no way of knowing which cache submissions have express permission, and which ones do not. I rely on the fact that the hider clicks the button that says they've read and understood the cache listing requirements, which include this concept. If I stopped and verified compliance with each and every guideline, including proof of permission, then this cache listing service would not be listing nearly as many caches, and certainly not with the same turnaround time, which is often complained about as being too slow.

Geocaching started out as an activity with very few rules. Now, it has a list of rules that many would call "lengthy", if not worse. While others may disagree, Groundspeak tries to keep the rules to a minimum, relying on the cache owner's common sense and adherence to the guidelines, including the permission guideline. Sometimes, there are enough instances of a problem to justify an addition to the guidelines. An example would be the express mention of highway bridges, since caches discovered in those locations tend to provide a lot of practice for local bomb squads. We are quick to archive such submissions, and/or ask for additional proof of permission in those instances, because highway bridges are specifically mentioned in the guidelines we are asked to enforce.

Likewise, if a high number of complaints were to be received from the government officials responsible for highway guardrails, rest areas and so forth, then perhaps these might be addressed in a future edition of the guidelines as well. In the meantime, I am sure that the geocache hiders in Kentucky will be appreciative of the information you've provided.

On electrical equipment I truly doubt the intent was to stop someone from using that equipment to run a concert or event in the park, even if that event was a cache event...

Don't take the rules you are being quoted and run fast and loose with them. Somtimes it's easier to find someone to say no than it is to find someone who actually has real authority. The department of public safety probably doesn't have a lot of actual authority in what you are asking about though they have an interest in "public safety". Rest areas are probably your local Department of Transportation or it's equivilent. Your local highway agency is in charge of guardrail and signs depending on who's responsible it could be City, County, or State.