Give Me Some Space....man

Team GeoDillo

Jeremy...

Would you please change the 5000 character limit on travel bug descriptions so that it doesn't count HTML? I have a relatively short description for the Lowracing Land Luge travel bug but I've also included a table of states visited (for a race). The HTML in the table has put me right at 5000 characters and I can't edit it anymore.

Either that or could you raise the limit slightly, please? :)

The 5000 character limit is there to limit the amount of space taken up in the database. HTML code takes up space just the same as visible text, so therefore must be counted.

One suggestion would be to only list the states that the bug has not visited.

The table is not needed. Use preformatted text (PRE tag) and separate the list into two parts (visited and unvisited states). This way you can replace that table (more than 4000 characters) by about 600 characters plain text.

I looked at your table and would say that you can easily display the information as a table with far less code. In fact, get rid of the color background stuff and identify the states that are left to be visited with bold (<b> </b>). You also have a bunch of unbalanced </span> tags that you can delete.

Better yet, make two columns, one for states remaining to be visited and one for states where it's been.

We ran into the same problem with our participant Berti in the same race. The reason is that we would like to switch the color of the text of the listed states. (No need for hints what we should change, it will stay as it is right now.)

I too think that 5000 characters are a little bit low (compared for example to be allowed to upload as many pictures as I want to). So I would also like to see a moderate increase of allowed characters.

Greetings,

Tobias

Edited by tobsas
We ran into the same problem with our participant Berti in the same race. The reason is that we would like to switch the color of the text of the listed states. (No need for hints what we should change, it will stay as it is right now.)

I too think that 5000 characters are a little bit low (compared for example to be allowed to upload as many pictures as I want to). So I would also like to see a moderate increase of allowed characters.

Greetings,

Tobias

You just provided a solution to your own problem and yet don't see it for such a simple looking table.

Create a map and use the same colors to highlight the states visited and not visited. Upload the map on each change. You'll save yourself grief and effort on so many levels and nothing has to change on the server side.

You just provided a solution to your own problem and yet don't see it for such a simple looking table.

Create a map and use the same colors to highlight the states visited and not visited. Upload the map on each change. You'll save yourself grief and effort on so many levels and nothing has to change on the server side.

I'm perfectly aware of this so-called solution: A picture is bigger than the text, so using a picture would increase the needed bandwith which follows to an increasing amount of needed money and more server-space, CPU etc. Is that what we want? I don't think so. (Yes, in my case it's only a difference of estimated three, four or five kbs, but if everybody behaves in this way...)

Greetings,

Tobias