Autorouting Question

Eric K

I currently have an E-trex Legend and Metroguide Ver 5.

I contacted Garmin and verified my Metroguide software will work just like it does with my Legend on the Legend C I have on order.

Two questions:

1. Since I usually know well in advance when I will be going somewhere it's not a big problem for me to plan route in my laptop and upload it to my Legend. If that is fine with me do I really need City Select software?

2. Does autorouting work if you go off course? For example, say I'm going from point A to point B. Say 1/2 way there the road is closed and I have to get off the freeway. Will autorouting automatically give me a new way to get to point B as I drive?

Garmin's new autorouting GPS units (including the Legend C) will not route correctly with MetroGuide. They won't even work like it did with the Legend (you'll only get the start and end points, and any intermediate points you added manually, not street-level routing). To get the Legend C to do routing, you need CitySelect.

If you have CS, you can compute and recalculate street-level routes on the fly on the GPS without needing the computer. You can then configure it to recalculate when off-route (either automatically, or prompted).

This will be interesting to see when I recieve it. Garmin told me the Legend C with Metroguide will work exactly like if I was using it on my Legend.

Here is my questions to them and their responses:

ME:

Problem:

I currently have an etrex Legend and was thinking of upgrading to the Legend

C.

However I am getting conflicting stories on if my Metroguide will work with

the Legend C. Will I be able to upload my routes and will the autorouting

work or will I need different software?

Garmin support:

I would be glad to assist you. I will need a little more information first.

What version of MetroGuide do you currently own?

ME:

Metroguide version 5.

Garmin:

That is absolutely correct! You have definitely done you homework.

So I hope it will work. Hopefully I'll know in a few more days! <_<

Garmin:

That is absolutely correct!

What is correct? That it WILL, <_< or that it WILL NOT work?

In the mean time, here are some threads from real world experience:

Using Mapsource Metroguide

Well, I can only find the one right now. It's been discussed at great length that when uploading MetroGuide routes to the autorouting 60 series GPSrs, the routes look fine on the PC, but when you get it into your GPSr, no workie! Straight-line from point A to point B. Since MetroGuide 5 does not support autorouting on the GPSr, any attempt to autoroute will result in a route built by the basemap. Basemap autoroutes are, how should we say this without getting a warning from geocaching admins...? Such routes perform an action similar to that of a powerful vacuum cleaner! :)

Granted, you're talking about a Legend C, and not a 60C/S, but the Legend C is more like a 60 than it is a Legend!

Asking if it will "work just like it does with my Legend on the Legend C" is an invalid question. It doesn't autoroute on the Legend, so you're asking if it won't autoroute on the Legend C. You can however download routes to the Legend and you can do the same with the Legend C. But downloading routes is entirely different than autorouting.

Since you already have MG, you can try it once you get the new unit, but chances are you'll be ordering CS soon after.

Oh and to answer your other question, if you go off-route, an autorouting unit will automatically recalculate a new route. Most units have a setting to turn this behavior off.

Garmin's new autorouting GPS units (including the Legend C) will not route correctly with MetroGuide. They won't even work like it did with the Legend (you'll only get the start and end points, and any intermediate points you added manually, not street-level routing). To get the Legend C to do routing, you need CitySelect.

If you have CS, you can compute and recalculate street-level routes on the fly on the GPS without needing the computer. You can then configure it to recalculate when off-route (either automatically, or prompted).

You are Wrong,I have a 60C,and metroguide. It will autoroute, and if I miss a point it will recalcuate the route autmaticallyfrom where I am

Garmin's new autorouting GPS units (including the Legend C) will not route correctly with MetroGuide.  They won't even work like it did with the Legend (you'll only get the start and end points, and any intermediate points you added manually, not street-level routing).  To get the Legend C to do routing, you need CitySelect.

If you have CS, you can compute and recalculate street-level routes on the fly on the GPS without needing the computer.  You can then configure it  to recalculate when off-route (either automatically, or prompted).

You are Wrong,I have a 60C,and metroguide. It will autoroute, and if I miss a point it will recalcuate the route autmaticallyfrom where I am

Metroguide will not autoroute correctly from interstate to interstate freeway. I had metroguide and was forced into getting City Select.

Metroguide routing must be done on the computer then downloaded as new routes to the GPS.

On longer routes you will see errors with metroguide, version 4 of metroguide sort of works but is not an absolute guarentee that it will work on long trips

Edited by GOT GPS?
I have used metroguide and had absoutly no problems with autorouting,gone all over ohio,tenn,kentucky,georgia,indianna,and michigan and it has worked great.if set up properly no problems.the 60c does the routing not the pc

Either you're using the older MetroGuide 4, which does autorouting in an error-prone kind of way, or you're using version 5, and your basemap is doing the autorouting (which would be much worse than MG4).

MetroGuide 4 is obsolete and most 60 and 76 owners generally discount that version as a viable option.

Edited by Neo_Geo