The End Of The Caching Season?

No way man!

Its the end of the SUMMER caching season, but...Autumn, which i think is by far the best geoseason is right around the corner!

In fact, I've found caching to be a great way to try new hobbies that you never have attempted before like snowshoes! I've never tried them, but caching definetly gives me a reason to! Not to mention my new geopup is a malamute, so she's born for a snow hike!

I actually enjoy the change of seasons with caching, each season gives caching new flavor.

Yup, fall/winter caching is definitely preferred for me. Georgia is too danged hot (and sticky!) in the summer time, plus the skeetes/tics are the size of small dogs - or so it would seem.

While it gets chilly, we don't have to worry that much about snow - exept for in the mountains, but even then that's a goodness.

I'd rather be a bit nippy than dripping sweat like I've been doing for the past couple of months.

After seeing all those pictures, I am truly jealous! I'm kind of new to geocaching, but so far, I have not been able to find any caches that require a whole lot of hiking. For the most part, they are fairly close to roads and easily approachable. I realize that for the most part, (aside from heat), weather does not play a part in geocaching here in Southern California, but I'll bet a good hunt in the snow would be a blast!

QUOTE (artbegotti @ Aug 23 2004, 07:10 AM)

is it possible to wintercache? 

Yup!

4069b213-45f6-4553-b837-2ae5dcfaa87a.jpg

I just love this picture! I am the second one in line (from the top) and this was my birthday cache outing with a few of my favorite cachers. It was on February 13 and though it doesn't look it, there was more than a foot of snow on the ground with some pretty impressive drifting. After 4 hours of hiking and taking in the gorgeous scenery, I was treated to a big birthday lunch! This still ranks as one of my favorite cache outings.

The end of the caching season? Surely you jest?

Heck, we don't even let a little snow and sub-zero windchill stop us from having outdoor BBQ events..

28027459-4fd9-4e71-a6ad-948f0d5b64c6.jpg

c61ccc86-4221-4349-afe0-a466c587081a.jpg

Yeah, it was what, 14 degrees that day and a wind chill of below zero and we still had a great turnout. And it wasn't like people stopped by for a half hour and went back to their warm homes. People were there all day. The fact that the soda, beer, mustard and ketchup froze didn't bother anybody.

Edited by briansnat

The end of summer will signal an increase in caching for me, as well. The summer temps, high humidity, and prolific numbers of nasty, biting gnats will decrease. Unfortunately, my husband is back in school and working full time, so he won't be able to cache with me, but that was par for the course when he was out of school for the summer, too.

I can't wait for the weather to cool. That crisp feeling in the autumn air...that almost physical quality, is reason enough to be outdoors. Add caching to the mix and I'll be out there at every opportunity I'm given.