Search For A Drowned Tb

rojeel

B) I placed a TB, the first one I ever found, in a cache. This cache was near a river. The cache broke open and all contents were lost in the river. I feel responsible since I was the last finder, the next finder reported the loss. I have spent 2 days searching the area and finally found 1 of the 2 plastic ziplocs that were inside. Unfortunately it was not the one with the TB and log. I found the first bag about 100 yds downstream under some brush and under water. This was the heavier of the two bags. The river goes over a flow control about 100 more yards downstream. I have searched all walkable/wadeable areas of this section.

Does anyone have a suggestion on handling this situation? I have offered to help reestablish the cache, but the TB appears to be lost. I have e-mailed the TB owner and explained the situation. I am waiting for the cache owner and the TB owner to respond.

Thanks for your input

Ron

Should I be more specific and name the TB, cache, river etc.  So that maybe someone down river, slim chance with all the flow controls on this river, may find it and relocate it.

Whew! Slim is right. I had a look at the cache page. By my most precise calculations, that bug has a one in a skillionty-willion chance of getting picked up by another cacher downstream.

You really have done a lot more than most people would to recover the bug, and the loss of the cache is one of those things. But I certainly see why you'd feel bad about it anyway. Just...because.

You might consider at some point launching a bug in its honor and letting the owners know so they can track it if they like. Get a similar figurine and launch it as "rojeel's apology" or "the mouse gonna rise again" or something.

Might make you feel better and work off a little geokarma B)

Thanks.

How did you know where this cache was?, Since I am new to this, does some of the info become visible, or did you guess by looking at my profile somehow?

I will follow your advice and work on a memorial TB. But I still hope it pops up, since mice can usually swim, except of course when they are in a ziploc bag with a chain around their neck.

B)

I feel a little better that someone thought I had done a proper search. I still have one more day and about 1/4 mile of riverbank after the flow control to search. I hope it didn't get sucked into the water treatment plant.

How did you know where this cache was?, Since I am new to this, does some of the info become visible, or did you guess by looking at my profile somehow? 

Yep. I clicked on your name to get your profile. The second tab is your stats. If you click on an icon for a stat (like the dogtag for the TB), you'll get a list of those items. You've found two TB's, and this had to be one of them. I clicked on each TB, then the link to the cache it was left in, to see which one washed away.

It's faster and isn't quite so much like stalking as it sounds, if you have a good broadband connect B)

Just a thought...

Although I agree that you have already made a great effort in this case, if you still felt like doing more, you could employ a metal detector capable of going in water at least the coil part and wade around the river.

The TB tag should trigger a metal detector no problem. - There is another thread already on here in the geocahing topic where contacting metal detector enthusiasts is dicussed. Remeber they like to find an excuse for a hunt as much as cachers do.

rojeel,

A cache getting washed away by a river is an act of Nature. We cannot control the rains, so it's a risk just placing one near the high water mark. You have already gone above and beyond the call of duty in looking for this bug. The river is about 500 feet wide below the cache and about a third of a mile wide at the cache. Post a note to the cache page telling other cachers what you found and if anyone comes back to search the replacement, perhaps they can keep an eye open downstream for the other ziplock. Are there any other caches downstream where one could see the river? If so, perhaps a note in the regional forums, or a posted note to those cache pages with a heads up. If you're really serious about finding it. There has been a lot of rain this summer and I'm afraid it is probably in the Black River Bay by now, if the ziplock was zipped closed. You've let the TB owner know what's happened, that's the right move. They get two TB tags when they buy them, one to send out, and one that says "COPY" on it. They can stilll send that out as a replacement travel bug. Acts of Nature cannot be controlled, cache placement can. Perhaps there is a lesson to be learned about rivers here.

So, rojeel, you've done the best you could. Don't feel bad.

:lol: Thanks to all.

I have met with the cache owner. The TB is missing and presumed drowned. Of course the final call is the TB owner.

The Black River has claimed another victim. There are two other flow controls downriver prior to another cache near the river. If it got caught on one of these, it is not safe to try and retrieve. If the water rises and flows over the controls there is a high possibility that it could wash up near the cache in Deferiet. NNY cachers please keep your eyes open near the river for a mouse in a ziploc bag. I searched on 4 different days and for about 8 hrs total. No luck.

Again, :unsure: thanks to all who replied. I did what I hoped someone would do for me if the situation were reversed. I am planning on sending out a memorial TB with the goal of getting back to the original owner and then returning up here. Then my Geo-Karma should be set right again.

Enjoy

Ron

I searched on 4 different days and for about 8 hrs total.  No luck. 

Again,  :huh:  thanks to all who replied.  I did what I hoped someone would do for me if the situation were reversed. 

You gave it valiant effort :huh: ! Spent some time searching hard. Nobody should ask for more or be upset about that! As Ertha states, you nor I can control "Mother Nature and Her Powers". If you feel you did your best, to recover everything, you should feel "no guilt" , nobody could ask for more! I hope the tb owner forgives you!

This is the problem with placcing a cache too near water, that can overflow the area, passed the high water marks - especially spring thaw, or after heavy rains!

I've recovered two 50 cal. cans here, by heading downstream, myself!

May the Geo-gods be with you! SF1