Good Idea?

Team FUBAR

I have a camper parked down in Mohican Ohio, right on the river. This is a incrediably busy area for rafters and canoe'ers(sp). I was thinking of placing several caches along the river so canoers could do some caching as well. Anybody have any feedback on this. Would I just be wasting time or does this sound like something that would be fun to do.

We have a few "by boat" caches here in Missouri. I have done one and hope to do more before the summer is gone.

Fair warning though, if you are going to hide a cache that needs special equipment to get to, be prepared for it not to be found much. But sounds like a great idea to me......go for it!

is this meant JUST for canoers or anyone along the river but the boaters can hit it too?

if just for the boaters how do you keep the landers off?

is this meant to be a series like a multi from one to the next - or just a bunch of caches over several miles of river.

Sounds pretty cool to me - and I'm in California!

This river is pretty shallow so it's mostly canoes and inertubers that go down it. It would be mostly accessable for river goers but anyone in the area would be able to hike to them. This is a major campground town down here so I think they would get alot of visits. I don't know yet if I would make them a multi cache or just a few placed alon the river route. I just started taussing the thought around of placing my own. I thnk I would just make a few tradition caches. Traveling down the river in a valley it would probally be easy to pass up part of a multi and be extremely hard to go back upstream to get back to it.

I canoed there two weeks ago, and some summers I have been 5 times. I take church youth groups canoeing. I thought about it. For us, just say, "NO!." The groups are hard to manage and keep track of. For smaller groups, vacationing families, and the like, it could work...but I think I would not risk the gps on the river. Then there's this: you would need to find areas where you could get permission. A lot is private, and some is State Park. There are caches in State Parks, so you might get permission. Then there are flooding zones, and camping/hiking areas. Not that it can't be done, but you have a lot to think about. There are two caches on the bridal trails, and you could look them up and email the owners about suggestions for permission. Also, "Between The Fires" is in the park. The Gorge cache is closed for now. Private canoes can be launched in the State Park about 1/2 mile south of the Mohican Canoe Livery, the big yellow one. They wanted $15/each for our private canoes up at the livery.

Thought about all that allready. Most of that is taken care of. Did some talking to not only the owner of my campground but also a near by land owner. That aspect is cleared. Speaking of the other caches you menchoned I just visited those this weekend, and wow. I was really impressed with them. If anybody is in the are it is worth checking those 3 nearby caches out.