Geoteaming Testimonial

GEM's

Just completed a day of GeoTeaming activities with Jo Fjellman of Playtime and it was fantastic! Playtime now has a course established at Pt. Defiance and it is awesome! If you're looking for a great team building activity with your organization...this is it! Tell them GEM's sent you!

Edited by GEM's

That's good to hear. Now, if they would only maintain the caches they place. I've found several of their geoteaming caches, and nearly every one has been either in desperate need of maintenance or placed in a nonoptimal location. They obviously don't demonstrate good geocaching placement or etiquette as part of their courses, and they don't respond to logs or emails asking them to maintain their caches. I would think a company that promotes geocaching (and is associated with geocaching.com) would be a good geocaching citizen rather than the kind of cacher that gives the activity a bad name. It also would be better PR for them - I would never consider them for a teambuilding exercise, because my impression is so negative based on their caches.

That's good to hear. Now, if they would only maintain the caches they place. I've found several of their geoteaming caches, and nearly every one has been either in desperate need of maintenance or placed in a nonoptimal location. They obviously don't demonstrate good geocaching placement or etiquette as part of their courses, and they don't respond to logs or emails asking them to maintain their caches. I would think a company that promotes geocaching (and is associated with geocaching.com) would be a good geocaching citizen rather than the kind of cacher that gives the activity a bad name. It also would be better PR for them - I would never consider them for a teambuilding exercise, because my impression is so negative based on their caches.

yep....they do need to maintain better that's for sure.

Hey, bigkid here, CEO of PLAYTIME Inc. Thanks for the props on the Pt. Defiance event. I'd like to comment on the caches, I agree we haven't maintained our caches, it's due to the fact that we're never in town anymore because we're delivering so many events. We have actually stopped our practice of creating memorial event caches because we cannot maintain them properly. Sorry for any negative impressions, perhaps I will disable all the existing caches due to the negative comments.

As for the last comment, I'd like to know more about your negative impression. Is there something specifically we can do to make it better? Unfortunately, our goal for the majority of our clients does not match the goals of an all geocacher events. I mean it would be totally unfair to put a geomuggle on a 5/5 type course.

We have over 250+ events of experience with over 5,000 participants, with 90% of them geomuggles (with many of them who convert after being exposed). We also significantly funded geocaching.com so they can expand to the employees that they have now. We want and continue to be good citizens of geocaching.com and would do anything to create more goodwill with the geocaching community of which I hope you feel that I'm a member of.

Finally, I met Soup and I agree, for a geocacher, his event caches rock and I'm waiting for the day I can hire him to create a geoteaming event DESIGNED FOR geocachers (and not those poor corporate geomuggles that we love so much!)

Thanks, I hope this message is well received (and not flamed). Feel free to reply or email me direct at bigkid@playtimeinc.com.

-John

Personally, I had a good time at the Playtime event in Corvallis. I suppose its a difference in who is participating. You got geomuggles, you gotta tone it down. You dont want to scare them away. When you have the hardcore cachers, you gotta up the ante. They expect a higher degree of entertainment.

If you are doing that many events (250??), I can imagine the work involved!! When fractal and I put something together, it takes us months (due to props, storyline, flame retardant materials, etc..).

I have seen a increase in the quality of the events (here and elsewhere). It seems people are really embracing the potential of the event cache idea. Whoa!! That is good for the game, its good for the participants.

We have a unique worldwide group. In the end, we are all on the same team.

/cheesy :P

-soup