60cs Problem Since 3.5 Upgrade

I upgraded my 60cs to v3.5 (from v3.43) before a big day of caching this weekend (never smart) and encountered a problem I've never have seen before.

I was using the geocaching mode to get from one cache to the next so my caching went something like this: I would find a cache, mark it as found, the unit suggests the next cache, I say goto, the unit prompts me for on/off road, I select off road. Then I would drive to the next cache get out of the car and start walking to the cache. If I watched the "distance to destination" counter it was working because I could see it counting down but the location cursor on the map was "stuck" on the road. I tried canceling navigation and doing another off road goto but that would not fix it. Only a power on power off seemed to bring it out of that state. This happened at least 6-7 times. It may be just coincidental that it happened after the upgrade, maybe I just never noticed it because I don't use the geocaching mode much.

I have CityNav 5 maps loaded on the unit.

Anyone else seen anything similar?

GO$Rs

I have another problem with v3.50 (and 3.43beta before it), and rather than start a new thread, I'll post the e-mail I sent to Garmin. I mentioned this in the "60cs shut off" thread a week or so ago. Anyone else have this problem? It's very odd behavior:

** Bug Report - GPSMAP 60CS v3.50 **

I sent a note last week to Gmap60cBeta@garmin.com about v3.43beta firmware for the 60cs, how it would shut the unit off at a particular location. I have the exact same problem with the latest v3.50, only now I've done more testing and hopefully this bug report will help you guys fix it.

I would have written to the tech e-mail address, but I don't have my serial number in front of me to fill in that form. Please forward this e-mail to the appropriate place for firmware bug reports -- thanks!

Here's the problem: In Northern Virginia, driving on Leesburg Pike, my 60CS with v3.50 firmware (and previously with 3.43beta firmware) would shut off every time I approached the bridge crossing I-495 Capital Beltway. The error is 100% repeatable, and happens whether I approach from the east or the west.

What I have discovered:

1. This crash happens only if the map screen is the active screen.

2. It happens only when "Guidance Text" is turned on.

3. It happens regardless of color scheme, day/night mode, etc.

4. It happens only if I'm on Leesburg Pike and approaching / crossing over I-495 (going either direction), not if I'm on I-495 and crossing under Leesburg Pike.

5. It does not happen with v3.40.

6. The unit does not always shut off, it may reset to the boot-up screen. But typically, the screen shuts off and I have to press the on/off button twice to turn the unit back on.

7. The bug is not limited to this particular location. I noticed the unit shutting off at other locations, but I always thought it was just a fluke. It was not until I noticed it was happening every time at this one location that I realized it was firmware-related.

Clearly, it's some sort of problem with the "Guidance Text" display. What triggers the crash seems to be the message "47A ahead" or "47B ahead." The unit always crashes before displaying that. With 3.40 and previous firmware, it displayed that without any problems.

Please take a look at this bug. In the meantime, I have turned off the guidance text, but I would like to be able to turn it back on -- I like knowing the names of cross-streets as I approach them. :-)

Feel free to write with any follow-up questions or suggestions on more testing. I've driven past this location several times in several different ways and can confirm that with guidance text on, the software crash is 100% repeatable.

My GPS is doing the same thing on the compass screen. You can see the distance go down (more or less), but the needle stays stuck in one direction then it will take a wild swing to a new direction where it will freeze for a while. This has happened in every version that I have downloaded including the current version. It does seem to have gotten worse with the current version. Garmin Tech support says I need to calibrate the compass. That the 60CS does not use satellites to get direction when traveling below 10 mph but uses the compass. Sounds wrong to me. :rolleyes:

... That the 60CS does not use satellites to get direction when traveling below 10 mph but uses the compass. Sounds wrong to me. :o

The 10mph number is adjustable somewhere in the settings, as is the time it waits until it switches to the electronic compass.

One thing I have to mention is that Garmin technical support is a little frustrating. I never heard back when I sent the e-mail about the bug with v3.43, and I haven't heard back about the report (above) for the same bug in v3.50. You'd think they would have at least an automatic reply, so I know it was received! B)