What Gps

Fish&Chips

Some questions first

What is cheap to you?

Do you want to interface your GPS with a computer in order to down load waypoints? the cheap ones will not do this Some of the cheap ones will not include a data cable which will add to the price if you want to download yur waypoints directly into your GPS.

Do you want a detailed map display?

If you can still get them the Magellan Sortrack map was at costco for $199.99 including topo software with a $50.00 rebate and data cable, there is also a rebate offer on the Garmin legend with Data cable. but I do not recall how much it is and it does not include the mapping software. My self I use the Magellan products, Sport track map, Sportrack color and Meridian gold. I have also used Garmin, but I like some of the features in the Magellan that Garmin does not offer.

What you need to do is go to a GPS retailer and look at one. If there is a group of Geocachers in your area that meets on a regular basis you might stop buy one of there events and ask them what they are using. If you look in the regional area of the forums you might find one close to you.

You can't go wrong with a Garmin or Magellan. They both make great GPS's and you will find people who are fiercely loyal to each manufacturer. Each has its strong points and weaknesses.

I've used both Garmin and Magellan units and prefer the Garmin. I've owned an eTrex Legend and currently own an eTrex Vista and a Gecko 201. The Legend is one of the better values out there. Its compact, durable and very easy to use. I like its one handed operation and the fact that I can slip it into my front pocket and take it everywhere, even to the mall, or stadium to mark the location of my car. It comes with mapping and a data cable as standard and can be purchased for as little as $160 if you shop around. Cheaper Garmins like the basic yellow and Geckos come without the data cable and the cable runs about $30, so once you factor in that they are only a few dollars cheaper than the Legend.

IMHO the Geko 201 is a great little unit. Simple interface, good price, excellent battery life, plenty of WP/track storage.

As for cables unless you're for some bizzare reason abosultely set on purchasing direct from garmin (or having a garmin branded cable) you can get them for $7.45 in the US. And you can get connectors for like $4 or 5 each from pfranc to make you own cable. Or you could go completely DIY or homebrew basically for free.

Thorin

Edited by thorin