Map-only Strategies

CacheTrooper

While I plan on getting a GPS eventually, it will take me some time to figure out which one is the best for all my interests, which now includes Geocaching!

Until then, I thought I would put 13 years of military land navigation training to work and use maps instead. Sounds more challenging, anyway. I will keep you posted on my progress.

And don't forget Web-ling.

It's easier to find them with a map if there are terrain features to go by. Streams, hills, mountans, cliffs etc...

So if you live in Kansas, it will probably be difficult, but if you live in the northeast, or Rocky Mtns, then it will be a lot easier.

NE, yes and no, because it depends upon tree density in the forest and visable terrain features. If you can't see the hill top to shoot your azimuth, its going to be hard.

Terrain association is your best bet and also, check out the clues and spoilers.

I did my first few without a GPSr. if you can print out the cache pages and have them with you it helps. Overhead photos from Mapquest, etc can also be useful. Deep woods caches are difficult but a lot of urban caches can be found using clues from maps and photos.

Did my first Map-only find today. Took MajorMinor for a very bumpy ride in the jogging stroller.

It was a cake walk because I know the area and terrain assocation wasn't really needed. None-the-less, it was fun and a great workout. 84 degrees in 70% hummidity!

Can't wait to try something more challenging, which there are two, also near my house to try. Probably try one next weekend.