Micro Caches, What Are They Really?

if you have a quality micro cache the i am sorry for what i am about to say... I do know that good ones exist.

I am at my end with micro caches. I could cross the country without ever touching the ground by stepping on micro caches. Yet another lame cache under a pamp post cover.

I do NOT want more rules.

I do NOT want more rules.

maybe though micro caches, and i do not mean MINI caches that do have 'some' trade room, should have their own section on the site like locationless will someday maybe.

I'm just hating it right now. Got back fram a cache hunt yesterday and was actually thinking of not logging then just as protest. Still havent decided.

"Oh look a lamp post with a film canister under the cover. Maybe there is a scrap if paper inside that i can write my name on. Maybe if have been really good this year it will require me to have brought my own peb since somebody didn't think they could fit a small pencil inside."

Micros to me 95%+ of the time are nothing more than waypoint.org with a piece of trash to write your name on.

Can I please just go home and find that micro caches have been a bad dream.

end rant

edit link

Edited by ralann

Well, you have my sympathy. The worst are the film cans (in cammo tape) hidden in the woods where a 24-gallon action packer could easily fit without ever being muggled.

I can see the purpose of a disguised hollowed-out bolt or keychain pill box hidden in a street sign downtown though, that can sometimes be an interesting hide.

My solution, I filter them out of my pocket queries and don't go looking for them.

Edited by lowracer
Well, you have my sympathy. The worst are the film cans (in cammo tape) hidden in the woods where a 24-gallon action packer could easily fit without ever being muggled.

I can see the purpose of a disguised hollowed-out bolt or keychain pill box hidden in a street sign downtown though, that can sometimes be an interesting hide.

My solution, I filter them out of my pocket queries and don't go looking for them.

yes exactly, some are good, some are bad, alot are the been there done that types

The pq option just doesn't seem right, that dosn't make them go away.

Oh, gee, here's a topic that hasn't been raised enough. B)

Yeah yeah, micros suck, virtuals suck, locationless caches suck, everything but what you like to find sucks and shouldn't be on this website.

I don't normally care to trade, so I don't normally care if a cache is big enough to hold trade items. I don't always have time to go out to the middle of nowhere where you can get away with hiding an ammo can. So, I guess you could say...I don't mind micros at all.

So now what?

Lame hides sucks! :blink:

Quality hides are fun! :lol:

Distance isn't a factor. :huh:

Size doesn't matter. :ph34r:

Sometimes, but not always, it IS all about the numbers. :mellow:

Was that simple enough for ya? B)

Now run along and play and have fun!

edit: self moderated to be kinder and gentler. :unsure::mad::wacko:

Edited by wimseyguy
The pq option just doesn't seem right, that dosn't make them go away.

It makes them go away for you. Why do feel it necessary to make them go away for everyone?

I've found a number of really well done and clever micros. I've also found my share of lame ones. I can honestly say, though, that I've found at least as many lame 'regular' caches as lame micros. IMHO, micros have their place and, if they are not your cup of tea, you don't have to look for them.

now i thik were just racking up post counts, how many times has then been dicussed and how many times has 'if you dont like it dont look for it!' prevaled?

maybe some people like micros, if you dont like them, then dont look for em! its not like you have a gun to your head.

just another waste of net space.

and my $.02

aj

i agree that micro's can be fun, BUT they seem to have degenerated recently into a lame been there done that, mark the coords where they fell out of the car caches.

it just seems 95% of micros these days are lame hides.

Yeah yeah, micros suck, virtuals suck, locationless caches suck, everything but what you like to find sucks and shouldn't be on this website.

i don't like locationless but i don't say they suck. same goes for virts.

Most of the micros in the Raleigh, NC area are quite challenging. A good part of the cachers here, including us, look forward to more coming out. SBUX just came through our area and put out some neat micros that we're having a devil of a time finding. We, the horsegeeks, do enjoy a good long walk and don't mind if there is a micro or an ammo box waiting for us. We like a good walk but at the same time these old joints enjoy a 2, 3, or 4/1 that challenges our mind but not the bones. Some have riddles or other challenges to solve before we even go looking. Come through our area and look for some nittany dave, wimseyguy, we4ncs, jackcachenc, SBUX, nctreker (and many others) micro caches and see if you don't leave scratching your head, happy, or tired or all of the above. There are some really easy micros too but most around here are tough and fun. Whatever you search for have fun and enjoy the hobby.

i agree that micro's can be fun, BUT they seem to have degenerated recently into a lame been there done that, mark the coords where they fell out of the car caches.

it just seems 95% of micros these days are lame hides.

i don't like locationless but i don't say they suck. same goes for virts.

Hope I didn't come off too strongly in my quoted statement...it wasn't a direct reference to you, but it's an attitude I see a lot on these forums.

There are plenty of caches I don't like, but I've accepted the fact that I'm not going to fall in love with every cache I find.

And while there are plenty of lame micros, I can't even begin to count the number of lame Gladware containers I've seen tossed thoughtlessly under a bush.

Of course, defining "lame" is far too subjective. The first time I saw a lamp post cache, I was stunned that you could hide a cache there (who knew!?). Sure I cringe when I see one now, but I certainly didn't when I only had 20 finds. I've seen my fair share of fake sprinklers, and can usually spot one of those from a mile away. Sometimes, though, a boring easy one is exactly what I need after a string of skunks.

Hope I didn't come off too strongly in my quoted statement...it wasn't a direct reference to you, but it's an attitude I see a lot on these forums.

There are plenty of caches I don't like, but I've accepted the fact that I'm not going to fall in love with every cache I find.

And while there are plenty of lame micros, I can't even begin to count the number of lame Gladware containers I've seen tossed thoughtlessly under a bush.

Of course, defining "lame" is far too subjective. The first time I saw a lamp post cache, I was stunned that you could hide a cache there (who knew!?). Sure I cringe when I see one now, but I certainly didn't when I only had 20 finds. I've seen my fair share of fake sprinklers, and can usually spot one of those from a mile away. Sometimes, though, a boring easy one is exactly what I need after a string of skunks.

not to strong at all, jst using what you said to point out that i may not like other caches but i dont want to eliminate them.

maybe i should go hide 100micros under lamp posts and then see what everybody says.

maybe it is related to this... i hate where this game is going(down the s***ter)

[maybe i should go hide 100micros under lamp posts and then see what everybody says]

Go ahead and do it and when we are tired of tough long hikes, riddle caches, well hidden micros, we'll go out and find some of the easy micros you put out and take a break (and increase our count, not that numbers mean anything). Then when we're tired of your easy ones we'll go out for a canoe cache or a long, long hike or a climb to a cache on a ledge or in a mud hole. Then if we come back discouraged because of a DNF we're grab a couple of your easy ones to bring the spirits back up. Thanks for placing those easy micros.

not to strong at all, jst using what you said to point out that i may not like other caches but i dont want to eliminate them.

maybe i should go hide 100micros under lamp posts and then see what everybody says.

maybe it is related to this... i hate where this game is going(down the s***ter)

Oh, you'll still get praise from the number-mongers for 100 micros. B)

So I certainly haven't been caching as long as you, but I've hit burnout a couple times too. And I tend to enjoy the older caches more than I enjoy the new ones. But I guess I still figure that a ho-hum cache is still at least marginally better than no cache.

So I certainly haven't been caching as long as you, but I've hit burnout a couple times too. And I tend to enjoy the older caches more than I enjoy the new ones. But I guess I still figure that a ho-hum cache is still at least marginally better than no cache.

yeah, older ones were often better.

nobody hardly hunts the hard or chalenging ones anymore.

i found one in april that is 24miles as the crow flies away from town 31miles on the road. NOBODY ELSE has found it. to hard B)

i found one in april that is 24miles as the crow flies away from town 31miles on the road.  NOBODY ELSE has found it.  to hard  B)

You're the man

it is just that quality and chalenge dont seem to be appreciated any more.

yeah, older ones were often better.

i found one in april that is 24miles as the crow flies away from town 31miles on the road. NOBODY ELSE has found it. to hard B)

I hid an Altoids tin under a lamp post last October (it was an inside joke). It's gotten 56 logged finds. That's more than twice the number of finds as a regular-sized cache I placed where you had to (imagine this) walk uphill for 800 feet. So...yes, I think your statement is pretty accurate.

One of my favorite FTF's was a cache on a mountain peak. The total hike was less than half a mile, but it was brutal and the views were excellent. Since it was placed in February (I think), it's gotten a total of 3 finds, including us. Those are the memorable hides...it's a shame more people don't go after them.

Some folks just can't do those. We go on something 5 or 6 miles and it whips us so we do those caches just once in a while. My son and I figured it would be better to bushwack 2 miles for 4 caches last weekend and it about wiped me out. So I've been doing micros this week.