Language Translater

T10X

There's also always the option of contacting the logger and asking politely what their log means. I've never quite understood why people make logs in their own (non-English) language when the TB clearly comes from an English speaking country. Ok, naturally not everyone speaks good English (or at all), but when logging a TB from an English speaking country, one would think that the finder would come up with at least some kind of an English language phrase (e.g. with a help from family or friends).

You may want to edit your TB page and insert a line there where you ask people to log in English when possible because you don't understand (e.g.) German.

Also, people in the German speaking forum are friendly, and I'm sure you could get translations there if you just asked. Asking in English is fully ok there. If all else fails, I can see if I could translate some logs for you. :(

Edit: I noticed that there was only one German language log so far on your bug. One of the words had a typo in it, so using an online translator would be even more useless than they usually are. The log means Received from retobea [the previous logger] in Brühlweiher [a place name (in/near Stuttgart if I got it right)].

Edited by Divine

Like Devine said, there are friendly Germans in the German speaking part of the forum, so just ask. ;-)

I would not recommend to use Babel to translate a longer text. Best example is that the word-by-word translation for "Cache" has absolutly no meaning to any geocacher in Germany (except that someone used Babel for the translation) and is a quite wired word anyway (we do use "cache" also... ).

If you want to use Babel, then translate your text to german and back to english to see, if there is any sense left from your original content. ;-)

If you would like to add some german text to the description of your TB, you might want to use the translation service (by volonteers, so give them some time) of Geocaching.de, which can be found at this direct link, but you can also go to www.geocaching.de -> Links & Services -> Übersetzungs-service

The page is only in german, so here is a short translation of the keywords. Name and eMail are obvious. (The eMail-address is used to get in touch with you if a question arise and to get the translation to you.) "Ausgangssprache" is the language the text is written in, for you it's "Englisch". The "Zielsprache" is the language you want, for you it's "Deutsch" (German). Then you only have to add you text in the last field and submit it.

HTH & Greetings,

Tobias

One of the weirdest Babelfish translations I've come across was German-to-English of the song Yes! We Have No Bananas. It isn't actually the same song, though the page I found it on had the English Yes! We Have No on the left side and this song on the right. It's apparently about a German 'Don Juan' named Meier, the love of whose life rejects all gifts, desiring only bananas. Which he cannot obtain. The chorus, after being poured through Babelfish, goes:

Calculated it requires bananas, bananas of me.

They do not do please, the most beautiful Levkojen and roses from glazed paper.

And a oleander does not even bring us to each other.

Degree calculated bananas, bananas requires it of me.

Ah, courtship. Degree calculated bananas!

If you want to use Babel, then translate your text to german and back to english to see, if there is any sense left from your original content. ;-)

The results are frequently hilarious, as you can see by re-translating some of the logs on this cache back into english.

I love the idea (and the logs)! :-)

I had to laugh so much (and loud), it will be very hard to get back to work now.

Thanks for the fun!! :-)

Greetings from Mainz, Germany,

Tobias

PS: Too bad that there are so many english speaking people around here ... not even a french cache would generate that much of fun here, I think, and that are all the languages I (fairly) understand and speak. Hm...

I really hate when people do log bugs (or the log when they dropoff the bug) in their local language, when the bug is from an another language.

We are organizing a bugrace, and there were people writing logs in Swedish, and bug owners were contacting us asking "what are they saying, is our bug still alive?".

So, if you can write english - write your bug notes in English if it is an international bug.

I don't even think it's a matter of English..

If your bug is from the US, then yeah, write it in English...

If the bug is from Quebec, english or French...

If the bug is from Spain, Spanish

If the bug is from the Nederlands, then dutch...

If the bug's page is written in a language other than the national language of it's country of origin, then you have an option.. But I say try to write it in the primary language of the country of origin of the bug if you can.

If you would like to add some german text to the description of your TB, you might want to use the translation service ...

The purpose of the German translation service is to create cache descriptions in other languages. We don't translate every single log out there. Anyway - the last entry (und die Reise geht weiter) says the journey goes on.

If you would like to add some german text to the description of your TB, you might want to use the translation service ...

The purpose of the German translation service is to create cache descriptions in other languages. We don't translate every single log out there.

Please re-read what I wrote.

If you think that "the" translation service of gc.de does not translate tb descritions into german, than you just have to ignore those in the listing. I will be happy to help out.

Greetings,

Tobias