The Secret Life Of Bees

JoeCthulhu

Bees, no, wasps? Man o Man. Night Stalker was bruttally savaged by a band of killer wasps at one of the first caches of spring. He was awarded the purple heart by the cache owner.

Later I had to vanquish no less than 11 nests before I could rest up for the next days cache adventure. Alas no blood and gore were involved, if you ignore all the screaming of the children who were getting stung while I did the vanquishing. Ok maybe is was one kid, and he wasn't anywhere near the nests but that started the whole quest...

Pittsburgh just had its first series of guardrail micros hidden, all in a suburban shopping complex. To add insult to guardrail injury, several of the caches share their very special corners of the world with bees nests. Finders have done everything from bringing a can of bee spray to creatively using an umbrella in order to avoid the stings reported by others.

These five caches are on my first page of unfound caches nearest my house. Haven't found the time to rush out and find them just yet.

I haven't gotten stung yet while caching, but did see a nice sized nest starting in the base of a lightpost when looking for one of those type caches (give me a break, it was during work, and i needed some "stress relief") and my boss and I have both had to spray several nests at our houses. Oh yeah, and I got stung one day DRIVING HOME and found a nest in the door jamb on my CAR. Just a small one, probably just started that day, and I just use a pocket knife to knock it off the car, then promptly stomped on it.

I got stung hunting for a cache over the weekend for the first time, and lo-and-behold a few of my cache buddies had similiar experiences.

Is it just coincidence that so many of us had trouble with bees over the weekend, or is it just another sign of the Apocolypse?

Funny you should mention that, there was a little informal cache outing down are way this past weekend and my 11yo dtr disturbed a few wasps while she was looking for a cache. Out of the 20 or so ppl there, she was the only one to get stung.

Needless to say, you can imagine the drama that ensued (complete martyrdom that only a preadolescent, hormonal girl could pull off).