Using Mapsource-COMM port detection of your Garmin

InspGadget

When I first went to use Mapsource with my Garmin, my computer was unable to detect the COM Port for the GPS. Here are instructions for adjusting your computer.

Right click on "My Computer" and select "Properties". This window will

pop up.

Click on the "Hardware" tab. This window will come up:

Click "Device Manager" and when the window opens expand the "Ports (COM

& LPT)" device area. You should see at least one communications (COM)

port listed.

Click once/highlight on Communications Port (COM1) device, right click

and choose "Properties"

Click on the "Resources" tab

Uncheck the "automatic settings" box. (So that the "settings based on"

box will not be grayed out)

Click on the arrow to the right of "Current Configuration" to get the

drop down menu.

Scroll down and select "Basic Configuration 0000"

Click "OK"

If you haven't started the Garmin application, start it and have it

"auto detect" the GPS. If it still does not, go thru the above steps and

select the next configuration setting "Basic Configuration 0001" . Then

try to auto detect again. However it worked for me the first time.

Unfortunately I have not had the same luck. I don't even get the resource tab unless I click on the LPT1 setting. I tried changing the auto settings there but still had no luck connecting to my Magellan. Unfortunately, I have to use a USB to serial converter since my laptop has no serial port. Could this be my problem ? Very frustrating since I cannot take advantage of any of the direct download from my Gps.

quote:
Originally posted by geosync:

Unfortunately I have not had the same luck. I don't even get the resource tab unless I click on the LPT1 setting. I tried changing the auto settings there but still had no luck connecting to my Magellan. Unfortunately, I have to use a USB to serial converter since my laptop has no serial port. Could this be my problem ? Very frustrating since I cannot take advantage of any of the direct download from my Gps.

I am still working on that one. My laptop does not show a com port, and I have the same issue. Do not dispar, my computer gurus will come up with something. I want my laptop to work with my garmin so I can take them on the road. More to follow as I come up with a solution. InspGadget

quote:
Originally posted by Gulf Coast Riders:

Well, perhaps I spoke too soon. The next time I tried to auto connect, the error message: "Trying to connect to serial port COM 3" came up. The Autodetect under communications Options is set for COM Port 1, but no matter what I try, the auto detect reverts to COM 3. Any suggestions?

Paul

this happened to me last night. I use Windows XP....I did a system restore to the previous day and all was right with the world once again. - JamesJM

quote:

Good idea, but I don't think it will work for me, I've re-booted several times since discovering the error message. - Paul

"If everyone is thinking alike, then no one is thinking."

Benjamin Franklin

Well, I don't know, Paul. I did the same. I rebooted several times, hot and cold, with no results. Only when I did a system restore did I find success.

Whatever it takes I wish you luck. - JamesJM

My computer guru friend and I will work on this one. Steve

quote:

Well, perhaps I spoke too soon. The next time I tried to auto connect, the error message: "Trying to connect to serial port COM 3" came up. The Autodetect under communications Options is set for COM Port 1, but no matter what I try, the auto detect reverts to COM 3. Any suggestions?

Paul

quote:

Paul

Boot first with the GPS turned off. Turn on your GPS. Then start up the mapping software. It should see it then.

That Quack Cacher:

Lone Duck

When you don't know where you're going, every road will take you there.